Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-22-2017, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools MTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Just the built-in AES. The add-on AES card would be an expensive solution to this problem
Get a second hand (or new) Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC2496. Dead cheap SRC that goes up to 96k (I think new around 200€ or less)that can be clocked with WC so it auto-switches with whatever your MTRX is at. Has RCA and optical and outputs AES. Not super high end but to listen to a CD it will do. Or simply go analogue into the MTRX.

I've been using this for years to route my Mac's optical out into my 8x8x8. Once setup you can just forget about it. It just follows your WC master.

Works great.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Get a second hand (or new) Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC2496.
Sadly, I've bought two of these and both died extremely premature deaths.

Just an anecdotal datapoint for anyone reading.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Sadly, I've bought two of these and both died extremely premature deaths.

Just an anecdotal datapoint for anyone reading.
Sorry to hear. We have about 3-4 around and they have been working fine for many many years.

Maybe those are the legendary super-rare "made in Germany" ones
Old 12-23-2017, 05:50 PM

Posting here as it appears to be interface-related: since upgrading to 12.8.3 I'm seeing AAE -1125 errors with the MTRX as the only connected interface. After that, the video engine crashes Pro Tools. Re-launching once or twice appears to fix it.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:11 AM

Hi Luke!
Does problem still exists? What OS you have? I am planing downtime, to go to High Sierra and 12.8.3, but this MTRX problem would keep me back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Posting here as it appears to be interface-related: since upgrading to 12.8.3 I'm seeing AAE -1125 errors with the MTRX as the only connected interface. After that, the video engine crashes Pro Tools. Re-launching once or twice appears to fix it.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artis View Post
Hi Luke!

Does problem still exists? What OS you have? I am planing downtime, to go to High Sierra and 12.8.3, but this MTRX problem would keep me back.

I saw it the other day with the playback engine set to CoreAudio so it might not be MTRX related. Hasn’t happened today, touch wood.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:49 PM

A minor annoyance I've noticed is that sometimes, when changing the sample rate from Pro Tools (Setup/Hardware...), the MTRX appears to go offline temporarily (Pro Tools detects the number of HDX interfaces has changed and has to restart). (The MTRX is set to adapt to the Pro Tools sample rate.)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:09 PM

Happens to me too. However, if I open a session of a different sample rate, there is no issue (other than a small pop) and the whole system changes sample rate. So, for instance, if I want to go to a 44.1 session after I've been working at 48, I just open it and there's no problem. If I try to go into hardware setup and do it, then I get your error and Pro Tools closes down and has to be re-opened (at which point it is at the new sample rate.)

I have the same setup of internal on the MTRX for clocking with adapt to ProTools HD 1. My workaround is don't change the clock sample rate and just worry about the session. Even setting up a new session at a different sample rate works the same way without the MTRX forcing Pro Tools to close. (My other HDX connected audio hardware is being fed off a WC distributor that gets its clock from the MTRX. So everything changes sample rates based on the session open at the time.)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Happens to me too. However, if I open a session of a different sample rate, there is no issue (other than a small pop) and the whole system changes sample rate. So, for instance, if I want to go to a 44.1 session after I've been working at 48, I just open it and there's no problem. If I try to go into hardware setup and do it, then I get your error and Pro Tools closes down and has to be re-opened (at which point it is at the new sample rate.)
Right, I've been changing it explicitly back to 44.1 in hardware setup so I can keep my system CoreAudio running at 44.1 to avoid unnecessary sample rate conversions (it's being piped in via Dante Virtual Soundcard – used for Spotify/iTunes/etc). Changing the sample rate via opening sessions works fine as you point out.

Quote:
I have the same setup of internal on the MTRX for clocking with adapt to ProTools HD 1. My workaround is don't change the clock sample rate and just worry about the session. Even setting up a new session at a different sample rate works the same way without the MTRX forcing Pro Tools to close. (My other HDX connected audio hardware is being fed off a WC distributor that gets its clock from the MTRX. So everything changes sample rates based on the session open at the time.)
Yeah, my MTRX is participating in loop sync (by having its WC output run at the base rate, and its input terminated). It works fine for my case where 99% of the time the MTRX is loop master – the only issue is that when it is running as a slave, its WC output is (as I understand it) post-PLL whereas in true loop sync it is just a buffered copy of the input. So potentially more jitter that way, but I can live with it. (Obviously, being loop slave also involves changing settings in DADman, which wouldn't be necessary with a “native” Avid interface. Avid should really fix this – the MTRX still feels like an OEM'd device rather than something that has been truly integrated into the Avid ecosystem.)
Old 12-29-2017, 03:08 AM

Luke,
I'm having the same -1125 problems with my HDX system that has 3 Lynx Aurora's.
It seems to happen when I close PT (12.8.2) and the I/O senses the Mac OS's core sample rate. I wish the interfaces stayed on 96k through the temporary off setting or the OS let me tell it to default to 96k. I can put that sample rate into the audio/midi utility but it won't stay when the OS is power cycled or the audio engine is changed. (Like when it boots and the system finds the grace m906 for its optical output.)

More on subject for this thread....I'm looking for a new larger centralized Dante I/O for my system HDX system. The MTRX is a strong competitor. One aspect is having enough IO to occasionally integrate 24 in and out at 96k from a 24 Trk tape deck remoted in another room. If I use 48 channels of Analog input I/O during normal tracking (sans tape deck) like I do now, using all the Digilink IO (4x 16 channel I/O) during tracking and then I want to switch to Dante with a different dedicated 24 io coming from the analog tape deck. What will that look like? Can I just enable those 24 Dante tracks in PT if the Digilink inputs are not in use. Is that where the 64 I/O limitations would show itself? or would both sources (Digilink I/O and Dante I/O) be able to be both live simultaneously?

Lastly, with all the intelligent questions about manual latency adjustment for Convertors in mind.... I would love to see a utility in Pro Tools that measured the path of any IO you choose and then adjusted the channel time stamp as part of the saved templates. Imagine tape decks, older IO, remote room devices all being adjustable per track in their time stamping. The same measurement tool could be used to trouble shoot our cue systems...
Happy Holidays to you all.
NomadicWax.com