Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Help me choose...Something to compliment PT.

Probably isn't the best place to ask about other products, but I have an 002Rack and 7.1.1, with a brand new UAD-1e Express Pack.

Although I've come to use the Digi plugins, up till now, I had no choice, but now I get the chance to take a bit of strain of the cpu.

The UAD card came with a $150 voucher towards any plugin. I dont want to spend anymore, as most of the plugs are in that range. What would you choose? The card comes with a few cool plugs like a nice reverb, and I still like Dverb for my drums.

Take a pick tell what you think. Thanks folks.

UAD Plugs...Help Me Pick One...
Old 04-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Help me choose...Something to compliment PT.

It depends on what you do and what area you're weak in...meaning, if you have 4 compressors and 1 EQ, you might get an EQ since you don't have that many.

Overall, I LOVE the Pultec EQP-1A. It was a sad day when they stopped supporting TDM plugs. I used it on everything. Now, I don't, because it won't work on my Intel rig. My vote is for the Pultec.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 04-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Yeah, I was thinkin the same thing. Tryin to weight everything. The card only comes with one EQ, I also use T-racks. Any thoughts on IK stuff?
I was eyeing up the Fairchild compressor. Guess I just like squashing stuff...Always been like that, ever since I was a kid, but thats a different story for another day
Any more opinions?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:18 PM

The Pultec has the nicest sounding high end boost I have ever heard in a plugin.

I enjoy the Neve 1081 eq, but with one card you would get one instance of the full version and that's it. Although the SE version isn't bad.

Maxing the input of the Fairchild sounds awesome, but it's not necessarily the widest-use application

As I type this I realize that I'm not going to be much help with your decision, because every one of their gear model plugs that I own I can't imagine doing without.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:26 PM

Good point...The card does come with the Pultec EQP-1A. I love the neve stuff, but then again, thats a $100 more for all their stuff, I know its worth it, but the wallet is pretty thin after grabbing this card and this macpro.

This is getting to be a wrestling match. EQ or Compressor? Anyone like the Cambridge EQ or the 1176Limiter or LA-2A?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Can you use the voucher towards the UA hardware? If you can get the real 1176 and you'll never want to use the card/plug-ins again for anything in the dynamics department.

Now that box would be THE compliment to Pro Tools.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:18 PM

Holey moley...I wish...If only this voucher was for a couple of grand...But unfortunately it is not. Guess I'll just have to dream about the actual hardware...
Old 04-09-2007, 04:38 PM

Well I have to add - and I don't work for UA - that the UAD plugs sound more like patching in actual analog gear than any other plugs I've used. I did one mix where I was going for an 'Instant Karma' vibe and using four or five Fairchilds (and the Space Echo) really did the trick.

The UAD 1176LN might be a good choice for you if you're looking for compression. The full version won't tax your whole card, and the SE version is still very usable and sounds way cooler than the Bomb Factory one. And obviously the 1176 is more versatile than say the LA-2A.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Hehe, cool...I'm listening to "Instant Karma" after reading your post. Such a cool sound. Yeah the fairchild sure sounds classic for some reason. I also forgot the Bomb factory plugin, i'll have to check that one out again, alot of comparison goin on here....
Thats one thing I think i'll check out later tonight...I got 14 day demos on all the plugs. I just want to see which ones tax the card more then others...
Old 04-16-2007, 04:18 PM

Well, its been a few days, and I got a few days left of the demos. I've tried most of the plugs, and I'm torn between two...The LA-2A and the Fairchild. I've tried both on vocals, guitars, bass, drums, and submixes. They both sound great. I like the simplicity of the LA-2A, but I like the many controls for the Fairchild.

Anyone using this UAD-1e Express? I got this voucher burning a hole in my inbox and I won't spend anymore then the price of the $150 mark. Which plug do you use and which one would you go with? Thanks....