Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Which is the optimal hard drive setup for Protools Hd ?

hello people

i would like to ask your advices about possible hard drive configurations for Protools HD

I have a Mac Pro and thinking to buy 4 x 500GB drives .

there are several combinations in my mind to configure , but first of all i would like to ask which is the best for an optimal system for Protools HD :

model 1 :

1 stripe Raid 0 array drive for ''System'' (500+500 = 1000)
1 stripe Raid 0 array drive for ''recording + sound banks'' (500 + 500 = 1000)
which means to using 4 hard drives as 2 drives

model 2 :

1 Single drive for Sound banks (500)
1 Single drive for Recording (500)
which means to using 4 hard drives as 3 drives

Or , it is more healthy to use the drives as single , without raid , stripe sets but with its own capacity instead of combining .
I just want to be sure about , if using the disks as stripe increasing the performance of audio recording thru Protools HD

and also if someone has an idea regarding to compare of Seagate and Westerndigital drives (which is the best for audio recording) , would be really helpfull

I am kinda rookie for these subjects :/

thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Which is the optimal hard drive setup for Protools Hd ?

Quote:
hello people

i would like to ask your advices about possible hard drive configurations for Protools HD

I have a Mac Pro and thinking to buy 4 x 500GB drives .

there are several combinations in my mind to configure , but first of all i would like to ask which is the best for an optimal system for Protools HD :

model 1 :

1 stripe Raid 0 array drive for ''recording + sound banks'' (500 + 500 = 1000)
which means to using 4 hard drives as 2 drives

model 2 :

1 Single drive for Sound banks (500)
1 Single drive for Recording (500)
which means to using 4 hard drives as 3 drives

Or , it is more healthy to use the drives as single , without raid , stripe sets but with its own capacity instead of combining .
I just want to be sure about , if using the disks as stripe increasing the performance of audio recording thru Protools HD

and also if someone has an idea regarding to compare of Seagate and Westerndigital drives (which is the best for audio recording) , would be really helpfull

I am kinda rookie for these subjects :/

thanks in advance
First off, I don't think PT's supports Raid config's.
As far as drives, I have two WD Raptors and they work great. I haven't had to use the second drive yet for audio. Even in 88.2 audio sessions. Both of the drives are 10,000rpms. I wouldn't go lower than that for audio drives. I use to have three SCSI Cheeta drives in my G4 Mac but, now that I have a Mac Pro so, I have the Main Mac drive (250gig) for applications, 2 (150gig) Western Digital drives for audio and a 400gig seagate drive for virtual instrument sounds like my Mach Five stuff (Which doesn't work now-how slow can you be to get your sampler UB ready?).

I hope this helps....Good luck..

M2E
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 PM

PT dont supports raid drives ? even as for the samples or libraries

i am thinking to use 1st drive for system . and 2nd+3rd+4th combined (as raid which will be 1500GB) as for the audio recording and libraries.

is it possible ?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:38 PM

Or :

1st drive for system
2nd drive for recording audio thru protools
3rd + 4th raid for instruments and sample libraries

i would like to understand ;

lets say you are using kontakt 2 , or any virtual instrument which their banks are on raid drives and you are recording audio to single , non-raid drive . is it still a matter of using a raid drive for PT ?

simply i want to combine 2 drives (500+500 = 1TB) (raid 0) for large libraries , and make the audio recording to a drive normal single drive where PT will record and save the sessions . Would PT work like this ?

or there shouldnt be any raid drive in my computer for audio recording if i am only using PT ?

really need help about this subject .
Old 06-30-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:

or there shouldnt be any raid drive in my computer for audio recording if i am only using PT ?

really need help about this subject .

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=23132

scroll down.

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com