Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2020, 05:07 AM

Default Lost files and can't record.

Hi, I've recently begun using Protools and have so far completed two projects. However, when I opened Protools ready to re-record a bass line last Friday I discovered that all my audio files had been lost (luckily, I had previously bounced the tracks down to mp3).

This is what happened next so I hope someone can provide a solution, as for the moment, my investment in Protools is useless.

1. A 'regenerate files' window appeared. I clicked this and some files regenerated, but two were still missing. I tried opening other versions of the same project, only to discover that in some of them, [U]all[U] the files were missing,
2. I went back to the original project and decided to re-record the bass line over the greyed-out missing track. A window appeared saying 'no record volumes designated'.. I didn't know what this meant so I Googled it. The suggestion was to " “Check Disk Allocation and be sure that all tracks are pointing to the correct drive”. I don't know what this means. I checked disk allocation and all the tracks were there but when I clicked on them all that appeared was a notice saying "In input 1 (mono).
3. I went back to my tracks again and noticed that in the I/O dropdowns, instead of Input 1, it now said 'In input 1 (mono) and the same message about no record volumes designated.

On Friday, I tried uninstalling and re-installing several times and even deleted Protools from my computed and re-downloaded. Then I gave up.

Today, I opened my Protools files to try again and the same issues arose. What's more I have now lost every single audio file on every version of the main projects I have worked on over the past month.

I hope someone can help. As I said above, for the moment my investment in Protools is useless and all the work I had done on the album I was recording has disappeared. I'm not happy.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Lost files and can't record.

Hi. Welcome to the community.

You must provide as much information as you can, before anyone can help you.

Start here:
Help Us Help You
Old 05-18-2020, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Lost files and can't record.

When you say "Projects", are you talking about a "Session"(which lives on your computer) or a "Project"(which lives in the cloud)? If it is indeed a project, maybe its an internet issue or maybe a login issue?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave