Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-23-2015, 10:04 AM

Default PT12 - "freeze track" feature

Does anyone know if there is a "freeze track" feature in PT12?

A usable, standalone, non-cloud linked, CPU load reducing, "freeze track" feature similar to what exists in other DAW software?

Please don't share links to videos etc., that suggest this feature exists, just actual info.

The reason I ask re: standalone is that Avid hasn't mentioned "freeze track" as being one of the new features of PT12, which is weird, and Avid has shown they are willing to link features to the cloud as they did with ProTools | First which only saves to the cloud, not locally.

Anybody know? Or do we just have to wait til it gets released.

fwiw, if there is a real "freeze track" feature I think the upgrade is worth the $200 for PT standalone users like me.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Default Re: PT12 - "freeze track" feature

As I saw it in the live demos yesterday at NAMM it does appear Freeze the track locally, the button for it is not in the Collaboration space

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM

• From the demos I have seen, the feature is available on each track, and is not tied to the online functionality.
  • A frozen track will reduce CPU load, but I'm unclear whether a frozen insert functions similar to a disabled insert or if the GUI remains active.
  • The "snowflake" button appears on tracks, located above the elastic audio settings
  • The "snowflake" button has three menu items - Unfreeze track, commit track, commit track to new track.
  • Freeze/unfreeze can be done with a single track, or with multiple tracks simultaneously
  • Frozen tracks will display a snowflake icon in each insert that indicates that the insert is frozen
  • I'm not sure if clips get a snowflake indicator when they are frozen, but I would assume so
  • I'm unclear on the behavior of "commit track" on instrument tracks, or what the functionality means for MIDI tracks feeding virtual instruments on Aux tracks
  • Also unclear on Undo behavior with frozen/unfrozen tracks
  • Also unclear if/how playlists will dovetail into this functionality
Old 01-23-2015, 12:28 PM

Strange Avid is not announcing a freeze track new feature. Here are the new features pages on Avid.com:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-...tware#Features

http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-...P-S1a#Features
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:29 PM

The posts from "Craig F" & "mesaone" make me cautiously optimistic - a real freeze track feature is worth the $199 upgrade cost for standalone PT I think. Hope to hear more about this. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Avid hasn't done something to cripple this feature in some way - or tie it to HD only - or one of their usual tricks....
Old 01-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
Strange Avid is not announcing a freeze track new feature.[/url]
It doesn't seem like anyone connected with their marketing department has ever used ProTools so maybe it didn't occur to them to mention it? I don't know - the communication from Avid about everything is pretty poor.

If they wanted to turn around the negativity about PT12 a more thorough explanation of the track freeze feature might help. Unless it's crippleware again...
Old 01-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
or tie it to HD only
Since it is a necessary feature for the collaboration stuff (even though it's not tied to collab), I doubt it will be HD only. But the demos I've seen were all using HD, so I can't be certain.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the info - one last repeat - if PT12 standalone includes a workable track freeze feature that isn't tied to the cloud or a cloud account or some other "gotcha" then I think the $199 upgrade is a no brainer and I'm sold. (since I have no brain).
Old 01-23-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Since it is a necessary feature for the collaboration stuff (even though it's not tied to collab), I doubt it will be HD only. But the demos I've seen were all using HD, so I can't be certain.
Or track freeze could be like expanded metering or vca's - HD only.

QAPLA!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 PM

I can't see paying $200 for a "feature" that's already available.
1) Bounce the track (instrument or audio) to a new Audio track
2) Hide & make inactive the original track
3) Wipe hands on pants & GBTW.

Offline bounce & import would probably take about the same time as a freeze (based on using freeze function in Logic, which I didn't find particularly helpful)

If you need the routing for sends, etc., duplicate the track but uncheck inserts on the Duplicate pop-up menu & put the bounce on there

YMMV
Cheers
Z