Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2012, 04:51 AM

Default File Structure win7 64bit Pro Tools10

Hi, mostly all vst's instruments and effects work off the bat. But in some circumstances with installing either a vst instrument or effect i need to know or have a graph showing the file tree structure in 7 64, so that i can install the vst instrument and so on in the right file within the structure.

I mean so far i have found at least users avid, Common Files Avid, Digidesign in many structures including Program Files, Program Files x86, vst folders in at least Progarms, and Programs x86. and so on. So it gets very confusing when i seem to be creating lots of copys of the dll's and placing them in various file structures before i hit the right one, and it works. If the programer says install into the dedicated daw vst, which file and where is it?

Can someone who is knowledgable or can point me to the area where this info is, that would be great.

I.e new 64 bit instrument goes into wht here? And so on.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 AM

Default Re: File Structure win7 64bit Pro Tools10

As far as the RTAS/TDM/AAX items go, just let the installer put them in the right place. In those instances where you are offered the option to choose the location the installer should display a default; just use that location.

As far as VST's go, even Steinberg uses different locations for some of its own plugins. But here's a link to Steinberg's recommendations:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...Bproduct%5D=17

And good luck with that!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh