Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Default TDM to HDX while we wait for AAX...

I'm curious what people are doing while waiting for plug-ins to be ported to AAX. If you were using an Accel system and upgraded to HDX. Are your sessions running OK? Are your TDM heavy mixing sessions opening and running properly as RTAS while we wait for the new port? How about tracking with plug-ins? Once we move onto Pro Tools 11 I imagine this will all be a nonissue but in the interim, it poses a potential challenge.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Default Re: TDM to HDX while we wait for AAX...

I have actually embraced Softube as they have embraced HDX. I also upgraded Phoenix to version II AAX DSP. Using a few Channel Strips which are very slot friendly.

The rest is RTAS. TL Space on a bus - RTAS. Soundtoys Echoboy on a bus - RTAS. Waves Mercury...well I don't need to say it. The Waves 'RTAS only' plugins have always been impossible to use at low latency. One Knob spikes an 8-core Westmere! Maserati and the like...one instance before a spike. The CLA stuff is OK.

I find myself using the FET by Softube. A bit of a slot hog as I can get about 4 or 5 per slot. But hey, the slots are mostly empty. I hope Softube makes their stuff a lot more efficient in terms of AAX DSP. I suspect they will now that everything (almost) is ported over. Using their Trident and TLA and the amps.

FWIW, I opened some medium sized sessions that were filled with Waves and they do open as RTAS and leave some CPU free. It seems the TDM versions which I can only use as RTAS are CPU friendly. But as I said before, the 'RTAS only' aren't and never were.

URS, and a few other single plugs are also CPU friendly as RTAS. But they were great as TDM. Now I have to insert a TDM trim before anything RTAS for tracking. Before I just tracked. Everything was TDM and the Waves signatures were only for mixing anyways so I would work with one or 2 before...spike.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM

How do you track through RTAS, with the Trim plugin first to prevent it from going into bypass of course, without getting crazy latency? Even at a 64 buffer setting you would be getting twice that with the DSP Trim plus the Native plugin. Is this different with HDX?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 PM

the latency is not really noticeable. I'm praying ADC is working though.

It's funny, I forgot about the TDM plug before RTAS plug so it won't go into bypass. Rediscovered it by accident when I put Cranesong first and that track didn't go into bypass. Scratched my head for an hour. I guess I was spoiled in an all TDM environment. Back to skid row for me until the rest of the gang (Waves) release their Waveshell in AXX DSP
Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Guy's The Latency issue is gone. I 'm a guitar player and am Really Really sensitive to Latency. So far tracking with Pro Tools 10HD native on my Laptop feels great.
I used to have a 12Core w/HD2 so if Latency would of been a issue I would be complaining like crazy on here. Ask anyone