Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Default Protools LE Plug in Delay Compensation

Hello to all,

I have just bought the magnificent Protools LE with the 003 Rack and I am running it on a Mac Pro computer. I have been really strugglng to find definitive information about the delay compensation feature implemented? to compensate for delay resulting from using plug ins (which have inherent latency) as inserts on tracks.

The electronic pdf Digirack Plug Ins Guide states on page 13 that Delay Compensation is enabled on Pro Tools LE and can not be turned off. The white paper by Dusty DiMercurio on the Digidesign website states in its second paragraph that Pro Tools LE does NOT have Automatic Delay Compensation. Despite this discrepancy, from a conversation I had last week with my retailer, I now understand that LE does have delay compensation but only up to a maximum of 1024 samples or the selected H/W buffer size. Based on this concept I tested the RTAS plug in delays on the plug ins that came with my LE purchase.

I recorded a mono audio guitar track and then duplicated it. I inserted a short time adjuster plug in to both tracks. ( I had to use the time adjuster on both tracks because the time adjuster has an inherent delay of 4 samples which is not delay compensated to allow the tool to be used as an adjuster) I then inverted the phase on one time adjuster and heard silence as a result of full phase cancellation between the two tracks. I then started inserting RTAS plug ins to just one track as a way of seeing if any were creating a delay. I tested every RTAS plug in that I have presently got.

Only two RTAS plug ins had delay.

1) The Amplitude 1.X LE had 68 samples of delay. ( This delay appeared in the vol/pk/dl window ) Inserting it did not let me hear the guitar and so I assume this plug in is delay compensated.

2) The Digirack Expander/Gate dyn 3 mono showed 96 samples of delay and DID allow me to hear the guitar. By adding 96 samples to the time adjuster on the other track I was able to hear silence again. This plug in produces a delay and is not Delay Compensated.

So I conclude that some RTAS are Delay Compensated and others not.

Can anyone tell me why this is please?

Does Pro Tools not recognise the Digi Rack Expander/Gate?

Is it because the Epander /Gate has a look ahead function?

Will I have to check every plug in that I use to double check on the implementation of the Delay Compensation feature?

I have registered with the DUC service only today and I am really hoping that someone can help me. The retailer is getting angry with my calls becasue his knowledge base is challenged and I am not making a purchase.

Thank you all in advance,
Kind Regards
Lachlan
Old 04-13-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Protools LE Plug in Delay Compensation

I'm chiming in as another user who is definitely interested in the answer to this question. I've read that LE users must manually compensate each track that uses plugins by the sample latency value shown by control(command)-clicking the green volume number at the bottom of the mixer channel. If I need to be doing this to prevent phase problems in my mix, I want to know the exact instructions. I have tons of tracks with multiple plugins, so if I have to subtract the offset by a certain amount due to some plugins being automatically handled, I need to know this as well. I'm hoping someone will be able to provide a fairly detailed response for this.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2008, 12:28 PM

This is a duplicate thread. Please refer to this user's other thread that already has responses posted.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:32 PM

LE does not have ADC (but it should!)...check this thread for what to do, i found it very helpful. Plug in Delay Compensation in LE