Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 09:06 AM

Default turn-key or do it yourself

Hi,

Planning on getting an iMac G5 and 002 LE. This will be my first Apple computer since the Apple 2e. While I am not a computer idiot, I am not a whiz either. Never used Pro tools before.

Is there any reason to get a turn-key system? Or should I just set it up and configure it myself?

Thanks,
Darkroom
Old 11-11-2004, 09:48 AM

Default Re: turn-key or do it yourself

Hello. What do you mean by 'turn key'. If you mean have somebody sell you a system, like Sweetwater can, that includes the computer, the 002, cables, mics, etc. all in one package, I suppose that could fall under that definition. Otherwise I don't know what you mean. I personally don't see the advantage to something like that, but some people do. To me it's like signing up for a Pro Tools class. In those cases, you are paying someone to show you what you could learn for free by reading the Pro Tools Reference Guide. Same case here. You are paying someone to put together a system that you could do yourself. Only you can answer that for yourself.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:03 AM

It's totally easy to install Pro Tools and get up and running on a qualified system. You should definitely do it yourself. You'll learn more that way too.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:24 AM

I second that. There are quite possibly some issues to overcome installing pt on an iMac. I spent a whole frustrating day getting it to work when I got mine. You will learn by doing it yourself. I've had pt for years, and there are always issues.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:40 AM

By turn-key, I mean the software is installed on the iMac and the iMac/OS settings are optimized for running Pro Tools. If you have ever run audio software on a PC (at least prior to XP), you had to tweak many windows settings parameters to get the system running properly...and the manuals for the software rarely informed you about what settings had to be adjusted.

As far as the example of paying for pro tools training: If the training costs $200, the training saves you 20 hours in learning how to use pro tools, and you earn $20 an hour, wouldn't you be a complete idiot if you didn't take the training course? For those people who don't have unlimitted time to learn the ropes, a training course is a good idea.

I haven't seen a configuration settings list in this user group, which discusses OS settings to optimize the apple computers for pro tools. Does that mean there are no settings to tweak?

Thanks,
darkroom
Old 11-11-2004, 11:14 AM

guidelines
Old 11-11-2004, 11:53 AM

Thanks Aux,

I did see that post from Digidesign. Has nothing changed in the year and a half since that information was posted? I would be surpised to learn that with updates in the OS and a number of revisions in pro tools over that time period, no additional parameters need adjusting. But, if not, it should be a breeze.

Darkroom
Old 11-11-2004, 12:25 PM

If you can spare the time to dig around this message board and ask questions then you probably have the time to Do-It-Yourself.

If I am wrong in assuming this I apologize, and would furthermore suggest you sign-up for the class and buy the TurnKey system.

Blowing my nose with ten dollar bills,

tony
Old 11-11-2004, 06:37 PM

Hey,

I bought a Digi001/Mac g4 system off of ebay earlier this year when I knew nothing about ProTools. It is absolutely loaded with plugins, and looking back, I think I got a good deal.

Then I took a series of lessons form a local PT engineer who knew his stuff, and now I'm up and running and doing a lot of recording. Best of all, it's sounding real good.

I had to get new pres and RME converters to get the quality where I wanted it, but I learned so much in a short amount of time.

I'm glad I jumped in the way I did. If I had to configure all this stuff myself when I didn't know what I was doing, I imagine that would have been difficult. If you have somebody with experience with PT, I think it makes a huge difference, no matter which path you choose.

Hope this helps!

Rufman