Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Mac)

Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 AM

Default Trouble recording tracks to my external drive; error message -5000

Hey guys,

I'm a Newbie to recording (actually running the software) but not a newbie to being recorded. I've spent the better part of the latter half of my life in and out of recording studios, so I know how much expertise and knowledge you guys that sit behind the board have. I wanted to start by saying that effort you guys have put forth to get to where you are in terms of knowledge about DAW's, more specifically ProTools is awesome and not an easy feat. I hope I speak for alot of us "newbies" who come here looking for advice when I say, "We appreciate your knowledge and your willingness to share it with others. Thank you."

Now to my problem, I have 3 primary workstations: a MacBook Air, a Mac Mini and a PC. They are all in different locations (I travel alot for my job), so depending on where I am at, I would like to be able to open up a session and then go to work on it. I thought I could accomplish this by storing the sessions on an external drive, and then just take the external with me on the road and open up the PT session from the external from what ever computer I happened to be at. So far, I have run into nothing but problems.

After initially recording some sessions on my laptop, I copied them onto my external drive. Then the trouble started in.

ProTools SE can open the session from the external drive, no problem. It can play back the session, no problem. But if I try to add another track, as soon as I hit "record", I get the following error message "You do not have appropriate access privileges (-5000) while creating "SONGNAME" while create "Audio Files." The PC is another problem entirely. It plays back the session just fine, but when I try and add another track, it simply locks up and goes into (Not Responding) mode. External drive is connected to my PC via a USB 2.0 port and to both my Macs via a Thunderbolt connection. External is formatted to ExFAT as I was told that ExFAT is a better format for Macs/PC's to both use than FAT32. Regardless, I had the same issue when the drive was formatted to FAT32.

I have tried everything I've known to try; verifying permissions on the external drive, changing the permissions on the Audio Folders, Everything. I've even tried recording new sessions directly to the external drive. PT sets up everything, but as soon as I hit record, I get the same "You do not have appropriate access privileges (-5000)...." message that I got before.

When I open up the session on the internal drive (original place where it was recorded), I have non problems what-so-ever. But I'd rather have the portability of recording to an external, as well as getting rid of so of the performance issues you get when reading/writing your PT session from the same drive that your OS is running off of.

If anyone could help me sort this out, I'd be really happy. Any advice is welcome. Thank you for your time in ready this. I really appreciate it.

Jason

Mac Mini (16gb RAM) running OS X 10.8 - Mountain Lion
MacAir running OS X 10.7 - Lion
PC running Windows 7
M-Audio FastTrackC400
M-Audio Oxygen 25 USB MIDI Controller
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Trouble recording tracks to my external drive; error message -5000

same issue here.... anybody?

OP did you resolve this issue?