Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM

Question Can we go directly to 10.3.4 from 10.2?

Hey Friends

As usual I really really apreciate all your great feedback and expert tips and trix and that is why I post this here instead of asking my local Avid dealer.

We have as posted here before 2 controlrooms and the one we want to update is a Mac Pro V 1.1 late 2005 early 2006 with 2x2.66 Ghz with 8 GB ram and PT HD 10.2 on OS X 10.6.8 working good and stable but have a few funky stuff going on with timeline caching and what not so I just downloaded version 10.3.4 and am wondering if we can go straight to that from 10.2 and do we need to
re-install the Pro Tools Instrument Pack purchased separate with structure, vaccum and a few more VI's. I think it is 5 VI included and do we need to download the Avid Virtual Instrument aswell and in what order do these installers go? I am really confused about all this and what about Clean vs Safe uninstallation and can we as always from 10.0.1 just run installer without uninstalling anything as it worked great before? And finally, do all our plugins and songs and arrangements dissapear or will they still be there aswell as our drives for Apollo quad and all our VI's too?

Sorry for my always long and annoying posts but we are swedish and pretty new to Pro Tools after having Logic 8 and 9 before so sorry to all you guys.

I really do apreciate all your thoughts and help and understanding since we truly are pretty green in this case dispite me thinking I was quite home on this system but noooo way was that even a little true

All My Best, Friends!
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Can we go directly to 10.3.4 from 10.2?

10.3.4 is a full installer
so yes you can uninstall 10.2 and install 10.3.4
Safe leaves drivers that one may need if they were uninstalling Pro Tools and not reinstalling Pro Tools but using an Avid/Digi interface for something else
Clean removes all the drives that are going to be replaced with a reinstall of Pro Tools

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-20-2013, 06:08 PM

Thank you for the clarification. What to do with the other questions about which installers to run first, what needs to be installed after PT and the AVI pack aswell as our PT Instrument package with the 5 VI's and all the other plugins and songs!

Thank you again and any thoughts on the other questions?
Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM

PIs and VIs should not be touched by the Clean uninstall
if there are updates of them then run those installers after running Pro Tools installer
you will probably have to rework your Bus to Output paths for the Apollo but I don't see why you would lose any thing
if the I/O is totally blown, close the session but Do Not Save
when closed go to the I/O Setup and check the Session Overwrites box then reopen the session
or before you make the switch, save out the I/O settings you are using so you can start from what you had

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
PIs and VIs should not be touched by the Clean uninstall
if there are updates of them then run those installers after running Pro Tools installer
you will probably have to rework your Bus to Output paths for the Apollo but I don't see why you would lose any thing
if the I/O is totally blown, close the session but Do Not Save
when closed go to the I/O Setup and check the Session Overwrites box then reopen the session
or before you make the switch, save out the I/O settings you are using so you can start from what you had
Thank You Craig F

You rock and I really am greatful for all your help and time aswering questions that I probably should know and have read somewhere but as I said before, don't really trust our dealers and I know that this is trustworthy info so Thanx again guys and I will do the update tonight •fingers crossed•

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 PM

Hey Friends

Updated today from 10.2 to 10.3.4 and it seems to work totally awesome! Faster and PT seems to be a little tighter and faster even though we run a Mac Pro V 1.1 with jDual 2.66 mhz on 10.6.8 as we never had any cashes or other problems so we stay on OSX 10.6.8 until we start installig on the new MacBook Pro fully loaded mid 2012 we bought today so just wanted to Thank You for all the respons to this post and yepp, It works great. Also ran the AVI 10.3 installer and the 6 VI's seems to load a bit quicker and react better so 10.3.4 with PT10 HD on Apollo Quad is great over here :)

All the best guys
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————