Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-23-2011, 04:23 PM

Default Eleven rack (11R) slow booting past "setting up midi"

Open for suggestions here!

So, I just put a new system together that definitely cranks through bootup and loading most of PT really fast.

The problem I'm having is that, the system flies through loading plugins and DAE at PT startup (like 3 seconds), but hangs for like 20 seconds on "setting up midi". After it loads, it takes another 20-30 seconds for the 11R GUI to load (system is unresponsive until it does). When everything is loaded, it seems to run great.

I started troubleshooting and it seems as if it is related to whether or not I have any midi devices plugged into a USB port. I have 2, a UM880 USB midi interface, and an Akai MPD. With just the Akai MPD connected, it's a little slower, and with my USB midi interface connected, it's dog[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] slow. Since both devices affect it (although at varying degrees), it doesn't seem to be a device specific problem.

Tried different versions of PT 8, dedicated USB PCI card, swapping ports, updating drivers, changing out USB cables, etc, and nothing seems to make a difference.

I'm 80% sure that this is an 11R issue and that I wouldn't be seeing this on a different PT interface.

Some details,
Win 7 Ult x64
latest FW for 11R
PT 8.0.5 (tried it with 8.0.4 as well, same issue)
i5/ASRock Z68 PRO3
UM880 with x64 Win 7 driver
Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Eleven rack (11R) slow booting past "setting up midi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edleigh View Post
Open for suggestions here!

So, I just put a new system together that definitely cranks through bootup and loading most of PT really fast.

The problem I'm having is that, the system flies through loading plugins and DAE at PT startup (like 3 seconds), but hangs for like 20 seconds on "setting up midi". After it loads, it takes another 20-30 seconds for the 11R GUI to load (system is unresponsive until it does). When everything is loaded, it seems to run great.

I started troubleshooting and it seems as if it is related to whether or not I have any midi devices plugged into a USB port. I have 2, a UM880 USB midi interface, and an Akai MPD. With just the Akai MPD connected, it's a little slower, and with my USB midi interface connected, it's dog[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] slow. Since both devices affect it (although at varying degrees), it doesn't seem to be a device specific problem.

Tried different versions of PT 8, dedicated USB PCI card, swapping ports, updating drivers, changing out USB cables, etc, and nothing seems to make a difference.

I'm 80% sure that this is an 11R issue and that I wouldn't be seeing this on a different PT interface.

Some details,
Win 7 Ult x64
latest FW for 11R
PT 8.0.5 (tried it with 8.0.4 as well, same issue)
i5/ASRock Z68 PRO3
UM880 with x64 Win 7 driver
Did you trash Databases and Prefs?

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...nd_Preferences

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-25-2011, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Eleven rack (11R) slow booting past "setting up midi"

Forgot to mention that, yeah trashed prefs and data. I have the midi interface running in merge mode and connected to the 11R midi in/outs and not through USB so that is working at the moment but not ideal.

I had a previous post about how midi was acting funny with the 11R and external devices so I built a better computer to run at lower buffer settings to offset that problem. Even with the super fast computer now, when adding multiple midi tracks from the 11R it still feels.. odd. I'm able to play and record in real time like I always could prior to PT8 and the 11R but more than one track at a time just doesn't seem right to me timing wise.

I'm going to pickup a mbox2 pro like next week or something. Get the audio/midi separated on FW/USB busses respectively and see how that goes. My current theory is that there is an inherent problem with the 11R and external midi devices, at least in PT8 but I can't jump to that conclusion until trying a different interface.