Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 PM

Default \"Static\" Noise when the time is sped up?!

Ok, so I am making a mash up, and I just isolated this nice region and sped up the time (on the grid background) to match the length of another region (using that clock/arrow thing). I play it, and it works until it gets to the end where there is a drum fill, and it just sounds like white noise. Any suggestions on what is going wrong?

Oh p.s. How do I get Reason as a Plug In instrument through Pro Tools!
Thanks guys!

Parker
Old 07-11-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: \"Static\" Noise when the time is sped up?!

What TCE plugin are you using? Pitch Shift, Time Shift, Speed, Pitch 'N' Time, etc? It sounds to me like there was a sampling interpolation problem with that drum audio file, but I'm not entirely sure... I've never heard of TCE turning an audio region into noise.

One thing which might have an effect is if you imported your audio file (which I assume as a loop is 44.1/16-bit) into a session with a different sampling rate and didn't choose convert. Weird things can happen. One time I ran a Numark TTX turntable output (which is 44.1/16-bit) into a 96/24-bit session via S/PIF... weird things like clicks and pops resulted because of the sampling differences haha. Maybe your problem is something related to sampling differences?

As per getting reason to stream into Pro Tools:

1. Load a PT session, create some stereo audio tracks, and drag the Reason plugin onto the track.

2. Set the ProTools transport tempo to that of your Reason session, else the playback in ProTools will be affected.

3. Select the channels you which for that track, starting with 1 and 2

4. Reason should auto-launch. When it does, fire up your Reason session.

5. Make sure the MIDI and I/O box at the top of the Reason rack reads "ReWire Slave"

6. The audio outputs, listed 1-64, are the equivalent of your Reason plugin busses.

7. Bypass the Reason 16:2 mixer and plug the input cables on the back side (using TAB) directly into 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc as needed to keep all insturments discrete.

8. Follow step 3 for all other tracks, coordinating the Reason plugin channels to here you sent the signal out in Reason.

Hope that helps! That's the only method I know for streaming into ProTools. There my be a way to compose via an Instrument track, but, I personally prefer composing with Reason's powerful MIDI editor, and let ProTools be my monitoring/control system to generate the laybacks when everything is finalized. Besides, Reason and ProTools timelines stay synchronized in start/stop/playback, no matter if your doing it via the ProTools or Reason transport, so it's pretty easy.

EDIT: In case I misunderstood what you ment by Reason ReWire, in terms of actually getting ProTools to ecognize the plugin, you have to install ProTools first, then Reason (Reason's installation will detect ReWire and install the needed files). If that fails, try visitng Propellerhead.se and download ReWire 1.7
Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: \"Static\" Noise when the time is sped up?!

Hey thanks
I really appreciate the help.
As for the TCE plug in, I believe it is just the time one. It keeps the same pitch, but changes the time. (I usually put in on Grid display and use the TCE icon to match it up the the bars on the grid.)
I don't know why it keeps doing it (I got the first sample to work by creating a new loop) but now I'm trying to create another drum loop and once again, the end is turned into white noise. I usually create my loops right in protools using the tab transiet option... so it isn't like I'm splicing anything at a weird beat or wave length. I'm going to try to fool around with this loop (I've already used the tab transiet and created a nice drum loop, but once again when I use the TCE time, the end turns to white nice.)
As for the Reason, I appreciate the advice. One of the main issues is that my protools isn't picking up that I installed Reason. Is there a way to manually add the plug in into Protools? Should the Reason Application be in a certain folder? or?

Thanks for the help!

Parker