How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2017, 07:41 AM

Default Eleven Rack Re-amp using interface without S/PDIF

Hey all:

First post on this platform. I checked other threads and couldn't come up with an answer.

I am using a Steinberg UR44 interface of which I have recorded dry tracks through. Now, I would like to use my Eleven Rack to Reamp my existing signal without setting the 11R as my main interface.

My understanding is that I connect my 5/6 outputs on my interface, to the line L/R inputs on the 11R. Then I route my balanced outputs L/R to my 5/6 inputs on my interface.

My output on my dry track is then set to the L on the 11R editor since I am recording a mono signal, and then the input on my newly recorded track set to the 5 input (or anything available) on my interface.

I have that same setup in my I/O settings within pro tools.

Then I arm the track and hit play, and VOILA - NOTHING lol.

Any ideas where I am going wrong guys?

Thanks a lot

PTB
Old 11-14-2017, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Re-amp using interface without S/PDIF

Since you are using the UR44 as your interface, all your routing in the DAW will be to/from the UR.

From what you have explained, connect outputs 5/6 from the UR to the 11R line inputs. You will have to go into the 11R input settings and select the Line Inputs as your input source.
Now run the main outs of the 11R to inputs 5/6 of the UR.

On the track with the dry signal, the output should be set to UR - output 5.
Now on the track you are recording the processed guitar signal, you will set the input to UR - input 5.

This should play the dry track through output 5 into the 11R, where it will be processed, then out the 11R back into the UR for recording.

System Details
Old 11-14-2017, 09:51 AM

Junkgear, thank you so much. I'll give this a shot when I get home from work, and let you know how it goes.

Quick additional question: If I'm running a mono signal is it necessary to connect both outputs and inputs? This was suggested by Avid, but makes no sense for recording guitar to me.

Thanks again
Old 11-14-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokethebearband View Post
Quick additional question: If I'm running a mono signal is it necessary to connect both outputs and inputs? This was suggested by Avid, but makes no sense for recording guitar to me.
Agreed; I don't see why you would need both output/input pairs. Typically when using a stereo input as mono, you would use the left input/output. Give that a shot and let us know how it goes.

One other thing... the main outputs of the 11R are line level, so make sure the input your have the 11R connected to is set for line level signals. I would turn down the input level on the UR and start playing your dry track. Then turn the input level up slowly until you get the proper recording level.

System Details
Old 11-14-2017, 11:55 AM

Hi again,

To be very clear the main outputs on the 11R are XLR connections. Would it be preferred to connect via XLR to TRS, or is XLR to XLR okay as well?

The reason I ask, Is I do not want to have to adjust the gain signficantly to compensate for the reduced signal strength.

Thank you for all your help
Old 11-14-2017, 03:15 PM

Hello again Junkgear,

I've performed all the connections, and now i have a feedback signal coming through my DAW at a consistent level. The feedback changes depending on the amplifier I choose and definitely gets worse with distortion making it seem like it is actually getting some kind of signal.

the guitar does not get processed either, so I'm a little confused.

I connected the main out Left on the 11R to my line input 5 on my UR44 using an XLR to unbalanced 1/4" connection. My Line output 5 on my UR44 is connected to the line input left on the 11R using a 1/4" TRS cable.
Now in my 11R settings in the input selection I have put Line L. I have attached a screen shot of My I/O settings, as that is something I'm less comfortable with, but pretty sure it's correct.

I have then armed the recording, and that is when I get insane feedback. When I remove either the input/output chords the issue is resolved. My TRS cable is functioning fine, along with both of the XLR to 1/4" cables I tried.

My only possible explanation is that I need to connect both L/R outputs, as well as inputs although this seems kind of ridiculous.

Thanks again

Sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Input Settings Pro tools.jpg (54.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg output settings pro tools.jpg (55.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-15-2017, 11:31 AM

I am not sure why this is so hard. I have already suggested breaking it down into simple steps. You need to stop whatever you are doing and systemically troubleshoot what is going on.

Can you get a guitar connected to Guitar In to play through the ER?

Do you have a dry signal coming out of the output you think it is?

Can you see that signal on the ER display meters?

Is the rig input set to the correct Line input when you want to reamp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Darryl,

I have performed all of those steps with no luck on the end result. The answer is Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. And finally, when I reamp FEEDBACK.

Look I've never reamped but i'm not a moron. I've used compressors, and mic pres to run signals back through the chain with a different interface before. I understand how these things work on more than a basic level. In fact, even though I knew I had everything connected properly, I still did what was suggested by yourself and located the problem. I posted a link to a forum about the direct monitoring causing feedback on outboard equipment with the Steinberg UR44 DSPMixFX which is what I will be troubleshooting next:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62943

I've done everything correctly on my end. No use in being condescending, man. Evidently I'm not the only one who has had this issue with the UR interfaces. GearSlutz essentially renders it useless for outboard effects.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 PM

I missed the bit when you went from just not working to having feedback. This is the same potential problem as any interface with hardware monitoring. Just turn off direct monitoring. Mute the inputs the tracks control app or pull down the levels. All hardware monitoring stuff *has* to have a way of being disabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-15-2017 at 01:31 PM.