Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Record Mixing

I'll use Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon as an example.

How would I mix reverb on a vocal? (From dry to wet)
Example:
Ending of The Great Gig In The Sky, female vocalist's voice seems to fade away with reverb.

How do I pan a sound from left to right?
Example:
On the Run, you hear a loud sound panning from left to right, modulating from low to high freq.

I know what knobs and faders to use, but how do I do this type of mixing while I record? Instead of using the black line for volume, panning, etc, couldn't I use the track fader/pan knob instead?

Please help and let me know if I need to elaborate any further.
Thanks.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Record Mixing

You're talking about automation - altering parameters during the mix. There's a lot of possibilities when it's comes to automation - Pro Tools allows you to record automation for just about any track or plugin parameter possible.. these show up on the black lines you mentioned in the track views. The automatable track parameters are shown already (e.g. volume, pan, send level, solo, mute etc.). To record automation, select an automation mode before playback (the dropdown box under the track pan knobs in the Mix window). For example, put a track into "Write" mode and move the fader while it's playing - the fader moves will be recorded and you can see it on the "volume" track view.

To increase the reverb on a track, you would automate the send level to your reverb bus. To pan a sound from left to right, you would automate the pan knob... and so on.

I recommend having a good read about Pro Tools automation in the Reference Guide. You can also find several tutorials and articles online that will help a lot.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Record Mixing

Most helpful. Thank you so much.
Automation was the word I was looking for, just couldn't remember what it was called.

I went to youtube and found some tutorial vids and they helped out as well.

Thank you so much.