Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM

Unhappy building my first HD rig, advice needed and lots of it :/

Basically, i am building an HD8 rig...

i am choosing an Apple Mac Pro (as i am currently familiar with OSX) - as i am told OSX is more efficient code-wise than Windows, certainly for running Pro Tools - is this correct?

secondly, i wish to have 4 * 512 GB solid state drives - is it possible to make the Mac see the four drives as one big drive?

thirdly: im not quite sure what i need in terms of TDM cards & Accelerator cards...

the interface im looking at is: Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital Pro Tools HD Series Audio Interface.

my question is, do i need to buy TDM cards or accelerator cards (what exactly do these do?) to go with this interface (are are they included?).

also, i'm assuming that i'm going to need preamps...

so i could just buy a C|24 and use it's pre amps?

im really bummed out with this one, thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:21 AM
ACI/ALP Moderator

Default Re: building my first HD rig, advice needed and lots of it :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviecandtheplacetobe View Post

secondly, i wish to have 4 * 512 GB solid state drives - is it possible to make the Mac see the four drives as one big drive?

Why?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:

i am choosing an Apple Mac Pro (as i am currently familiar with OSX) - as i am told OSX is more efficient code-wise than Windows, certainly for running Pro Tools - is this correct?

thirdly: im not quite sure what i need in terms of TDM cards & Accelerator cards...

the interface im looking at is: Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital Pro Tools HD Series Audio Interface.

my question is, do i need to buy TDM cards or accelerator cards (what exactly do these do?) to go with this interface (are are they included?).

Hi,

If you tell us what you want to do with the system it will be easier to advise!

How many tracks do you wish to record? how many inputs do you require?
Typical size of session? straight forward band mix or big 100+ track productions etc
Are you going to be mixing purely in the box or do you have a console and outboard?

There are lots of options plus the new Native HD system which could be a good option for you.

To answer a few questions. No you can't see all drives as one! you will want to keep your system drive purely as a system drive. then one drive for your sessions/audio. maybe the other drives for backup or sample libraries etc.

The C24 control surface has 16 independent preamps! they are not boutique but useable for most things. you would probably need a few a-class pre's for the important tracking situations.

Process cards/accel cards are needed to give more TDM plugins and a bigger track count if you take the HD TDM route, but as mentioned the HD Native system has substantial power.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Not sure what you are "bummed out" about. My advice, visit a ProTools dealer.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:

I don't mean any disrespect by this question but:

Do you have any experience with Pro Tools at all, or even recording?

It seems like you are about to make a huge investment without knowing anything about what you are getting in to. It could be a lot of time and money wasted on a system you really don't need.

There are a number of things you need to know about solid state hard drives... nevermind accel cards. My advice would be to do some research on exactly what you need. Look up information on the Avid site. There's a lot pertaining to I/O, voice counts, plugins, etc. Things you should research for yourself rather than coming here and saying "What should I get?"

If all you need is 16 I/O... you could easily get away with a 003 or 2626 with some nice outboard pres and converters.

What do you intend on recording? Bands? V/Os? Orchestras? Would you be using outboard gear? All in the box?

These are all things to consider.

If you don't yet have any experience with Pro Tools, I would recommend at least starting off with an MBox just to see if it is to your taste before spending what will end up being around $40,000 with your proposed specifications.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM

+1 to all the above.

Earth to Stevie...

These are not the questions someone contemplating such a huge system should be asking. These sound like pipe dreams from a bedroom dreamer.

Ok, maybe you're for real, or have some super secret client you're working for. Best advice is to go see a local dealer and tell them what you want to do. I'm sure you will find plenty who will jump at the chance to spec out such a "money is no object" installation.

Now, when you find out what it is really going to cost, don't forget to put aside at least double that amount for outboard, mics, and plug-ins as well as room treatment. Where you going to put this stuff? You better be building a world-class room to justify this system purchase.

Remember, just having the gear will not make your business. It's the talent behind it that matters. For the money you are considering spending, you might just want to rent some studio time, or find yourself a studio you can bring your clients to and work out of. Plenty of them available who would love your business. If you're just starting out, get an m-box and use it until you've for-sure maxed it out, and then think of upgrading. You'll save youself a lot of cash and learn a lot in the process.

Rant off. Anyone with any significant time on the DUC has seen a lot of these type of posts in the past. Most here are happy to help with legitimate installations, but have little patience with posers. Which one are you?

Bob
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:

From your questions, it sounds to me like you need to do a lot more personal research before posting on the DUC. I think if you spend that valuable time researching, 1) you'll learn about Pro tools, 2) you'll better define your needs, and 3) you'll then be able to really zero in on questions that you cannot find answers to, that only users would know from experience.

All the best!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 PM

I have to agree with DISM, it's odd you are asking these questions while thinking about a system of this caliber. Maybe you meant Pro Tools HD with the version 8 software? Entry level HD? Accel chips provide processing power for TDM plugins, the mix engine, and ADC. An HD 8 rig (if that's what you meant) is basically 7 accel cards after your core card (which is a bare minimum requirement for HD to run) An HD3 system is pretty hefty as it is. I run an HD2 and only in my biggest sessions have I crept up on maxing the cards. There are so many options to try and list so I would definitely post exactly what you need for I/O, track counts, etc and then everyone here will likely suggest a good solution. I would go Mac for sure though mine has been great, I bought a used 2007 quad core and it runs as good as my brand new MPB. SSD drives are way overpriced and with desktop computers I don't even see a need for them, laptops maybe for the added durability but I even questions that as I seen a friend go through 2 in 3 months. Don't dive in head first with out doing the research, I almost bought and HD1 thinking one card would be fine RTAS, but then after more research I discovered that using RTAS requires more voices that use mix engine power so all the RTAS power in the would wouldn't matter with out more chips. So on that note if you go HD I wouldn't do anything under an HD 2 system. I would find a used 192io and then see if you can find a good deal on a core card then an accel card or 2. Or go the new native route and buy a 8 or 12 core Mac Pro. I would fill up your 8 analog ins on the 192io with as many good pre's as possible then buy a presonus digimax to add 8 inputs and mic pres using the 8 digital ins, now you 192 is using all inputs. You would then need a monitor controller like a dangerous D-box or similar unit to give you all your knobs, headphone outs etc. The new HD omni has all of that built in with a few inputs so that also may be a good place to start then add a 192 onto that. There really are alot of options so state exactly what you need to do with the system and I'm sure you'll get tons more input on how you could proceed. A 003 may be a good place to start also, outgrow it, then make the jump to HD is you require a full out system.
You need to get on here for a couple weeks, there is a wealth of knowledge and it's there to help you make the best buy possible. Good Luck.
HD 2 Accel System, 192io,

Macbook Pro 5,5, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53, 4 GB Ram
OSX 10.7.2
Presonus StudioLive 16, Cakewalk UA-25 ex USB

Studio: www.sonicpit.com
Old 10-07-2010, 02:04 PM

My advice is to talk to a pro tools dealer, stay away from guitar center or sam ash. I would call sweetwater, dale pro audio, studio logic sound, etc. etc. those guys are knowledgeable and you can tell them what you need to do and they can build a system for you and give you the best price for what you need.

MKD Creative
Old 10-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

Sounds like you got cash to burn. If you want it set up right. You should fly me and DISM out to Scotland and we'll set you up!!!!!