Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Angry This is real scary, I'm concerned

Protools is never going to be the same I think it's over people, and I never thought I'd say it but quite fankly I think Protools sucks. First of all how are we still using a beta version for windows 7, that by itself is insane, and I kinda think I understand now that didgi design has been dwarfed into avid the attention that it needs to be able to hold its rank as the number one, industry standard for recording software. Think about it, avid has so many sub companies that they have to produce a budget for so the sub company can move forward, and even if protools does drop a new version soon you better believe that you wont see another one until hell freezes over. Therefore and unfortunately all of these other perhaps smaller daw companies but dedicated to only one thing and that is daws will finally take the fore front. ableton just dropped ableton 8, reason 5 is about to drop, and I sware I can't even keep up with native instruments, all these companies have moved on to offer products that support non linear recording but protools. protools needs to revamp the whole program there are entirely to many issues with how it operates, it kind of reminds me of a road with pot holes in it insteads ripping the road up and completely replacing it, they do patch work on the holes which doesn't do anything but createa bigger hole.
Don't get me wrong I would be the first to tell you that I would love to see protools keep the number one spot hey make a liar out of me, but at this point I don't see how with didgi design under avid the co will never be the same. I meen honestly we don't even hear talk of anything new happening isn't that scary with how fast technology is moving today. You know what I putting protools right up there with emu in regards to being one of the most stagnant audio production software companies on the market and that's a dam shame. To be quite honest if it wasn't for native instruments maschine and ableton, and reason I don't know what I would, because even the thought of trying to work in protools literally makes me sick to my stomach because I know the program is just not going to run smoothly and any creative juice I have protools sucks the life right out of it, and I'm running i7 920 corsair dominator ram 6 gigs, asus mother, and had windows 7 tweaked with four hard drives close to 2 terabytes. Glad I got that off my chest don't hurt me to bad people I love protools to but right now they suck period point black and signing out
Old 07-05-2010, 03:37 PM

Default Re: This is real scary, I'm concerned

Hi I'm a newbie, thinking about purchasing some home studio equipment and this post kind of scares me! I thought protools was the bombdiggity...Isn't it what the top studios use?

You mentioned Emu, Ableton, Reason, and some others...Is any one of these what you would recommend to me?

If the studio uses protools, could I bring it home and play with it on my ableton software, or Reason?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:03 PM

I don't by any means want to lead you astray so what I would suggest is that you continue to check into it and do your research protools is a good program its there future I'm worried about like these other recording software companies aren't playing around and if protools doesn't snap out of this lethargic state they're in when the smoke clears they're going to be left in the dusst, ableton is awesome, Reason record is awesome, and there are a few others that provide stability in a system and will run and get the job done so do your homework and research and make the best decision in regards to your needs. That's the best I can do I will not tell you not to buy protools.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:04 PM

If ptle isn't working for you, you clearly havent worked for it. We all have working systems here, because we read up and built a system that's approved for ptle. Your problems are probably all based off the fact that you didn't build a pt optimized system. Or you didn't set it up properly. Its industry standard for a reason. As for avid not doing any updates, it's probably cause their working on their next generation of interfaces. They haven't made a big realease in a long time. ( other than eleven rack). So that's probably what their working on. If you need help, post a Sandra report. Well help yu out :)
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 PM

I agree with Hotcrazyfruit, but I also see where richardmaxty is coming from. It is frustrating to know that pro tools is industry standard and ranked so high but you have to go through all these configurations just so it can work properly, if that ever happens. I personly have had some of the other programs richardmaxty mentioned installed on multiple computers with different builds and different OS and never had a problem with any of them. Didnt even have to configure any of the computers...I gotta say I do love pro tools though.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by March314 View Post
I agree with Hotcrazyfruit, but I also see where richardmaxty is coming from. It is frustrating to know that pro tools is industry standard and ranked so high but you have to go through all these configurations just so it can work properly, if that ever happens. I personly have had some of the other programs richardmaxty mentioned installed on multiple computers with different builds and different OS and never had a problem with any of them. Didnt even have to configure any of the computers...I gotta say I do love pro tools though.
Well you see, the reason they run so well and with such little optimization is because they don't use your computer to it's fullest extent. With protools, yur CPU power isn't just going nowhere. It's going into processing powerful plug INS in realtime. You simply can't do what you can do in protools, in any other DAW. Or else it wouldent be industry standard. There is a reason for everything
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 07-05-2010, 10:46 PM

What people fail to realize is that Pro tools HD is what made &|or became the industry standard; its really that simple; if u don't hav it, then really u shouldn't even complain & jus move on to som'n else; its that simple almost...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
What people fail to realize is that Pro tools HD is what made &|or became the industry standard; its really that simple; if u don't hav it, then really u shouldn't even complain & jus move on to som'n else; its that simple almost...
almost

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-05-2010, 11:09 PM

in the now infamous words of a noob but profound DUC'er..."everything sucks i quit"!!!!! plus the internet is over...shut 'er down peeps!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Right, PTLE has never been the Industry Standard.

After a decade and a half of using Pro tools, I don't feel so out of line saying there is room for improvement. Though I see this as my favorite DAW by far, there are code issues and features that need to be addressed.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com