Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2001, 07:40 AM

Default MAC WONT START !?!?!?!

Hey guys, I got a little prpoblem here.
I tried to start my mac when I got home, so I hit the power strip, then clicked the power button on my computer, and everything seemed to be fine, I heard the chime letting me know it started, but, nothing happened after that, and my monitor went into stand-by.
So I went straight to the manual for reasons it would not start, everything was plugged in correctly, so the next step they said was to reset the (PRAM) so I did so, and it started up, but after I shut it down thinking everything was cool, the next day it did the same thing.
ANY CLUE AS TO WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Thanks for any help at all guys.

chad
Old 12-17-2001, 07:47 AM

Default Re: MAC WONT START !?!?!?!

Could be your internal system clock battery is dead.

Have you installed any new extensions lately? Did you try starting with extensions off?
Old 12-17-2001, 09:07 AM

I was having the same problem with my Beige G3.. either no start-up or the start-up would be erratic. Check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/....."start-up problems." My problem was that one of thte ram modules wasn't seated properly...pushed that in and haven't had a problem since.

Good Luck
Old 12-17-2001, 10:00 AM
Administrator

I'll echo what Michael said, check your battery. You didn't say what cpu you have or how old it is, but you did mention that it is connected to the power strip. If there is no power going to the computer, even if it is turned off, then the battery will drain faster. The most common sign of a dead battery is that your date and time defaults to something other than the correct date and time.
Another thing you might want to try is updating your hard disk drivers, such as Apple Drive Setup for your startup drive. I would also check other devices connected to your computer to see if any of them figure into the problem. Check connections, check to see if you can start up with nothing connected.
I have a couple of cpus with way too much stuff hooked up to them, and have done troubleshooting this way, on my 8600 and 9600 for instance:

Disconnect all external devices
Disconnect scsi ribbon and power going to other internal hard drives besides the startup drive. (I've found the built-in Zip drive to be particularly problematic. If you have one of these, disconnect it to determine if that is part of the problem)
Check the remaining internal connections to your startup drive and CD drive.
Remove PCI cards.

Reboot with the shift key held down. (extensions off)
If the cpu does not boot, then try putting your Mac OS CD in and reboot with the C key held down.
Open Drive Setup from the Mac OS utilities folder, and see if it will recognize your startup drive.
Update disk drivers, reboot.
Gradually add devices and PCI cards after cleaning connections.

Let us know if any of this helps, and include more system details.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the input guys!
I think I will check into the battery issue first. I hope it is that small.
I really do not have a bunch of stuff hooked up to my mac.
I have a g4 400, 768 megs of ram
2 ide hard drives, 20 gig, and a 40 gig.
I have a cd burner hooked up fire wire,
the only PCI slots i am using is for the video card, and my 001 card.
1, OK now, I know the battery is a 3.6 v lithium battery, that the my manual says to get from an authorized mac dealer. Do I have to get it from them, or is there anywhere else, I can obtain one of these, that will work correctly?

2, Ok digi. You mentioned something about my battery draining faster cause it is pluged into the power strip. Should I unplug it from there when not in use?

3, You also mentioned updating my hard disk drivers. How do I go about doing that?
Sorry I sound so dumb, but I think I focus more of my energy, on music, and not enough time learning my mac.
thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-18-2001, 08:17 AM

Never disconnect power to the computer except for maintainence purposes. Get the computer out fo the strip and plugged into an always on UPS outlet.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:38 AM

Sorry where, but can you spell out UPS for me, My brain is full of concern for my mac, and I cant decifer initials right now.
thanks
chad
Old 12-18-2001, 09:07 AM
Administrator

UPS stands for "uninterrupted power supply", like these

There is nothing wrong with using a power strip, but the point is that if you turn it off and there is no power going to your computer at all, then the battery will drain faster. Even when the computer is turned off, if there is power going to it the battery does not have to work to store date and time and other PRAM settings.

The next time you have your mac up and running, check the Help menu at the end of the top menu bar when you are in the Finder. (just click anywhere on the desktop and look at the menu bar for Help)
To use Drive Setup, open the Help menu on the mac and type in Drive Setup and see the item for "Testing and repairing a disk".
You can update the disk drivers without initializing the drive or damaging files.
Old 12-18-2001, 11:05 AM

Thanks digi!
What about that battery?
ANYONE
Old 12-18-2001, 11:54 AM

The 3 most common causes of what you describe are...bad, unseated or mismatched speed ram...unseated cpu...and loose or bad monitor connection cable or PCI or AGP graphics card.

Do you hear drive activity when you startup (even though the screen is black)?

If so, my guess would be the monitor connection.

If not...I'd guess unseated or mismatched ram.

Have you installed anything lately..ram? a GStealthport?

I had a case once where the wrong stealthport (the serial port that plugs into the modem slot internally) was used..and the machine exhibited the same behavior as you describe. It took 15mins to uninstall all the PCI cards..and the stealthport and the machine booted fine.
I reinstalled the PCI cards and it was fine. Put the stealthport in...and whamo.

So, if your using this device...you need to check their site...send it back..and get a new one. There are instructions on which to get based on whether you have an AGP mac or PCI graphics mac.

Battery..I don't know. Could be...but to be honest...I've never seen a battery on a mac go bad until after years and years.

Thats not to say its not entirely possible.

The battery is on the motherboard..its small..like a watch battery..and unclips. The battery itself has the part number on it..and you can usually find replacements at most decent watch type shops that carry lots of batteries. They aren't "apple" batteries.

If you have PC 100 and PC133 ram mixed..this can also cause what you describe. If you have installed ram recently...pull all ram except for the OEM apple that came with the box. See if it starts up. Add each module back..till you find the culprit. If its a case of mixmatched...choose the largest compliment of ram to use that works together.

I would doubt its the hard drive...if that were the case...it would boot to a grey screen and blink the question mark.

The hard drive...going would not proclude it booting the screen display.

PCI cards..etc..can easily be dislodged slightly...just by pluging in the connectors.

Sometimes..you press on the MB to put in ram..and it flexs downward dislodging the PCIcards...(whcih are attached at the top by screws or clamps).

Just wiggling the monitor cable at the back of the mac..or moving it..with cable pressure on it..can sometimes pop up a corner of a PCI card by tilting it slightly.

So, I'd check those things first.

It is still entirely possible that its the battery..as mentioned...as that could cause these types of errors as well...but usually...as the battery goes...you start to get weird anomolies..like your date and time is off...etc. Still its possible.

Hope that helps....just some more things to try.

dcornutt