Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-1999, 08:42 AM

Default digi 001/no asio no sale

since digi is marketing the digi001 interface to the lower end market, it would need to play well with other software out there. if it were to use asio drivers, all the popular software could address it. we all have macs and software and projects already that we are not going to get rid of. by not having a tc ruler, the big guys can't use this as a second system for what they already do with video. so, digi has shot itself in both feet on this. you will have much less market saturation without the asio drivers because all the currently working higher end project spaces cannot give up compatibility. bummer. you can put the tc ruler in any time you want. easy fix. would allow users to have an offline room, or editors to work at home even if they cannot afford the full blown mix systems they use at work. for me, it's asio or nothing. and this is a popular sentiment around here. sonorus will be getting my money instead of digi. consider that you apparently want to get market share with this piece in places just like my own. asio or the highway. please do think about it. in about a month i'll be switching cards in the computer. i would like to add the digi001 system to become comfortable with pro tools. but the driver issue remains. sonorus for instnace has asio2 drivers out, and highly rated cards with much better dynamic range than the 001. pro tools has high end market saturation, but best not forget how good the competition is at this price point. and they have asio drivers.
Old 10-21-1999, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default Re: digi 001/no asio no sale

There are around 15 apps that can use all of the Digi hardware using Direct I/O, including Digi 001. This includes all of the big 4 mac sequencers. I don't know which software you want to use, but you can use Cubase VST, Logic Audio, Vision DSP, Digital Performer, and lots of others now with the current Direct I/O.
We'll be giving developers a new Direct I/O SDK (software development kit) in the next few weeks that will allow them to develop their apps for even more access to all of the features of the hardware. They already have access to all of the I/O.
Check with your software manufacturer regarding their current and future support for Direct I/0. This is what they are using, not ASIO drivers.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Digidesign eMarketing

Old 10-21-1999, 10:48 AM
Avid

This asio driver issue seems to be an often misunderstood topic that keeps coming up. I will refer you to a recent post from Bruce Paine that sums up what is happening with third party apps on the 001.

www.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000002.html

T.J. Thomas
digidesign

[This message has been edited by ProdInfo (edited 10-21-99).]
Old 10-21-1999, 01:00 PM

well, asio is a standard for a reason, and i wasn't sure that any other driver would work _as well_ as an asio driver for cubase vst24 v4.1 on a fast mac running os 8.5.1 . i conclude from this statement that i can use the audio i/o, but will have to wait till i hear from actual users about issues regarding final real world stability and latency, for instance. i also use peak, i believe that was listed as well for compatibility. previously, some cubase users had occasional problems with drivers for the likes of amIII cards and other digi hardware, so anything other than asio seems like i have to keep my eyes open to be sure. i am harping on this thread because this 001 is one of about three options still in the running for me, and it would be the winner as my next choice of card if i was satisfied that it would play nicely in my system. seems like every company has it's own driver standard and every company wants the other companies to write drivers in that standard. bummer. i just want it to work well, including sample accurate sync. i suppose i would lose control over my adat when using protools, although my korg 1212 has the adat sync and word clock stuff right on it. everything is a tradeoff unless i can afford to drop ten thousand bucks on the mix system with some bells and whistles...which i can't. i have emailed steinberg tech support today to see what they report in terms of driver support and features that cubase can immediatly use should i purchase the digi 001 hardware. i cannot afford to have the studio down for any period because i do regular work in it. i'll be interested to hear steinbergs feedback about drivers/compatibility. i understand you two companies don't get along well for political/market share reasons. alot of folks want pro tools for audio editing and software like cubase for sequencing, each better than the other in it's niche.