Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Default Eleven Rack and V-drums

Has anyone recorded playing guitar through the eleven rack and v-drums at the same time via the midi port? I'm considering picking one of these up as an additional interface but the usb concerns me (I have a 002R currently) and I'm not sure if the latency will be a problem. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack and V-drums

What do you mean by
Quote:
and v-drums at the same time via the midi port
Are you referring to just recording the MIDI data? Because no audio passes through the MIDI cables or ports, you would need to run 1/4" cables from the Vdrum module to the 002 (if that is your main interface) to record the sound.

If that is what you mean, then yes you can do that. I do something similar.

I use a real drum kit that has Ddrum Pro Triggers on the drums, which connect to an Alesis Trigger I/O which I plug in to either the 003R's MIDI IN port or use the USB - MIDI out of the Trigger I/O. I place Strike or Superior Drummer on an Instrument track, and the real drums trigger the drums in Strike, plus I can mic the kit as well. This works great for jamming and when recording together, i give everyone headphones and you can clearly hear the triggered drums, guitars, bass ect.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-30-2011, 04:33 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear. I want to record midi-in (using V-drums as my controller and either ezdrummer or steven slate as my virtual instrument) and use the standard input with my guitar at the same time. Currently I have a Digi002R and I record V-Drums and either a Sansamp or POD at the same time. I was looking at the Eleven Rack as a second interface because I don't want to move my Digi002R everytime I'm recording at another location. I was concerned whether the Eleven Rack would record the two inputs at the same time and if there was latency with the USB 2.0 since the Digi002R is firewire. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 PM

If all you are doing is triggering the Software drums, then yes, you can record you guitar at the same time. Midi has nothing to do with the audio. The V-drums would just be sending midi info through the midi port, while the audio inputs are sending audio through those inputs.

You can actually be recording your guitar, and 5 other audio sources at the same time, using the other inputs and digital ins, all while also triggering the midi info with your v-drums.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I figured it was possible. I just haven't had much experience with USB interfaces except for the original Mbox that a friend of mine had.