Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2020, 05:37 PM

Default Can not save, "The system cannot find the file specified"

I have been using the same setup for years (WIN 10, details below), recording to a mapped network drive. I just upgraded from PT11 to PT 2020.5 and now I can open and play/record existing sessions, but I CAN NOT SAVE any sessions to the network drive (save new, save existing, save as, or save a copy). Basically out of commission.

I CAN save to my system disk, but the system isn't built for that and the disk has limted capacity (just wanted to mention that I CAN save somewhere). All other apps I use can still save to the network drives normally.

Error examples:
Could not save as "songname_v1" because The system cannot find the file specified. (2) p:\ProTools\_SONGS\songname\songname_v1\myhwQSJBdw yrMBBB\bfqxQSJBczyrMBBB:AFP_AfpInfo.

Could not save a copy in "Copy of songname_v1" because The system cannot find the file specified. (2) p:\ProTools\_SONGS\songname\songname_v1\gxbhSFMBrh fcQBBB\bqfmSFMBrqfcQBBB:AFP_AfpInfo.

PC:
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
Windows 10 64-bit
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-Core processor 3GHz
16 GB RAM
Beringer U-Phoria UMC1820
ProTools 2020.5.0

Network drive is on a Synology Diskstation DS212+ with about 200GB (20%) free.

I have been Googling this for days, and have toyed with disk permissions, but can't find the solution. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Can not save, "The system cannot find the file specified"

Hi,

In the workspace window. (Window>workspace) is the drive set to R (Record) in the 2 columns labelled A and V (Audio and video) If its set to P (Playback) or T (Transfer) it probably wont allow you to save the session to it. you can simply hold the mouse over and change to R in the columns.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:15 AM

Hi Chris. Thanks for the reply. It has been impossible to find support. :)

Yes, the drive is set to R (Record). Any other ideas?

Do you know what kind of file that is that it says it can't save? (\gswxYMYWhrsyJBBB\pmvyYMYWvvsyJBBB:AFP_AfpInfo) Seems like some kind of hidden system file?
Old 06-08-2020, 12:31 PM

Hi everyone!

Same problem here: Even the drives are marked as R (record), I get the error:

Could not save as "SESSION_V2" because Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. (2) l:\Client 02\SESSIONPATH\fxsmWSPBzyfgPBBB\vmzmWSPBszfgPBBB:A FP_AfpInfo.

(The german line says: The System can not find the specified file.)

This all on a SYNOLOGY Network Drive, we are working on since 6 years without ANY problem! On a 2nd SYNOLOGY Network Drive (worked before as well) we have the same issue!!!!!!!

Any Samba Error in Pro Tools, Filesystem problem? AFP-Apple Error ?

Windows 10, PT Ultimate 2019.12 AND 2020.5 on Hewlett Packard Z400.

Best mcfid.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:20 PM

Very interesting mcfid. Thanks for sharing that info. I will also research this from the Diskstation angle. Please let me know if you make any progress with your ProTools/Diskstation setup.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:32 PM

I do the same on my end.
As far as I remember, there was a quiet DSM Update not very long ago...

What I do now is to try to figure out, if Synology is to blame by stepping trough all the SAMBA/CIFS/AFP Networking parameters.

There is nothing to be found on their website with "Pro Tools...AFP_Info".

Lets stay in touch and if I find something out, I will let you know!

Cheers from Austria,
Stefan.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:34 PM

Yes, in the Diskstation log I can see that an update was applied right around the time that this problem started for me. I have opened a ticket with Synology. Let's keep in touch on this. Thank you again!
Old 06-08-2020, 01:48 PM

Thank you too! And great, that you contacted synology!
Old 06-10-2020, 01:09 AM

...no news from my side.
Toying with SAMBA CIFS AFP Parameters did not help.

Cheers, Stefan.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:24 AM

Here is what Synology has had to say so far. I have tried all of these, but with NO success. I'm hoping they have other suggestions. But let me know if any of these suggestions work for you?

---
Looking into it, it seems like the system keeps trying to put the hard drives to sleep which rendered the volume inaccessible at times. Please head to DSM Control Panel > Hardware & Power > HDD Hibernation to disable hibernation.

Additionally, here are some general SMB configurations that will ensure a more stable connection. Please check the following:

1. Under Control Panel -> File Services -> SMB -> Advanced Settings, Set the Max SMB protocol to SMB3, Minimum SMB protocol to SMB1, and Disable transport encryption. Currently, all your SMB connections are running on SMB1.

2. On the bottom of this advanced settings page (scroll down) there should be an option to clear the SMB cache, please do so.

3. Under Control Panel -> File Services -> Advanced (separate tab) make certain SSDP is checked; windows network discovery.

4. Then go to Control Panel -> Regional Options. Make certain you are on the correct timezone, and on the bottom of this screen, after choosing with NTP service you would like to use, click "Update Now".

5. Make sure you have shared folders created under Control Panel -> Shared Folder.

To map a drive (NAS shared folder) you can go to File Explorer -> This PC -> Computer -> Map Network Drive.

If you do not know your IP address for the NAS, login to the Synology DSM go to Control Panel -> Network -> Network Interface -> LAN -> edit -> Ipv4 -> and select Manual address. Copy down the IP address here, and press apply.

Make sure to remap the connection with \\(ipaddressofSynology)\shareName format. you will enter something similar to \\192.168.1.50\Account