Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-04-2021, 10:05 AM

Default Unable to assign MIDI tracks to certain VIs

At random, MIDI tracks are unable to be assigned to specific VIs (which are on Instrument tracks). It happens once every few months but it's been going on for years. In today's session, everything operated as expected, then I added EZ Drummer (a single-channel MIDI instrument, fwiw, *not* multi-channel) and went to a MIDI track and tried to assign that MIDI track to EZ Drummer. I selected EZ and let off the mouse but the track actually got assigned to another VI (Kontakt, in this case). This is the case any time I try to select EZ. I could set that MIDI track to any other VI and it would operate as intended, but I could never get it set to EZ Drummer. I tried restarting PT, and the Mac, and deleting Prefs, etc. This seems to occur at random and has happened through many versions of PT and the Mac OS and on several different machines.

Anyone familiar with this issue? Or know what's going on?

Last edited by Eric Lambert; 02-04-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Unable to assign MIDI tracks to certain VIs

Are you sure EZ Drummer is a single MIDI channel vi? Maybe single stream but single MIDI channel? By default each MIDI stream has 16 channels. The specs here https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezdrummer-2/ say it has multi channel routing.

QAPLA!
Old 02-04-2021, 02:56 PM

Multiple audio outs but single MIDI channel. In any case, I use EZ Drummer all the time and this issue is rare. Something is causing it, I just can't imagine what it is. If memory serves, it also occurs when trying to appoint a MIDI track to Stylus RMX. Not every time -- it's very rare, too -- but it happens.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Multiple audio outs but single MIDI channel. In any case, I use EZ Drummer all the time and this issue is rare. Something is causing it, I just can't imagine what it is. If memory serves, it also occurs when trying to appoint a MIDI track to Stylus RMX. Not every time -- it's very rare, too -- but it happens.
That's weird - only a single MIDI channel? I know of no other vi that does that. When you click on the output assign of the MIDI track and click on the EZ Drummer entry you don't have the option of selecting a MIDI channel? Why not use an instrument track?

Do you have another daw you can try it in? Or maybe try EZ Drummer vst inside Blue Cat Patchwork instrument version.

QAPLA!
Old 02-05-2021, 10:42 AM

EZ Drummer isn't the culprit -- this bug happens with other multi-channel VIs as well. Stylus RMX is the second most common offender. It has happened with Kontakt, too.

I suspect that there's some sort of conflict that I can't spot. The scarcity of responses to this thread makes me thing that the issue is uncommon. I'll keep digging.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
EZ Drummer isn't the culprit -- this bug happens with other multi-channel VIs as well. Stylus RMX is the second most common offender. It has happened with Kontakt, too.

I suspect that there's some sort of conflict that I can't spot. The scarcity of responses to this thread makes me thing that the issue is uncommon. I'll keep digging.
Never had the problem you're talking about (especially with Kontakt). I suspect you have a ghost in the machine and would wipe your system drive and reinstall everything. Bitter pill to swallow but it may well be your only remedy.

QAPLA!
Old 02-05-2021, 01:18 PM

Multiple studios in multiple locations using various and different gear/OS/versions of PT have experienced this bug, so it's something else. It may be a ghost plaguing and following our company specifically, but there's another explanation in here somewhere. The headaches associated with striking the computer don't equal those associated with this sporadic bug. For new sessions, I can just record MIDI to the Instrument track. But recalling old sessions which had MIDI on MIDI tracks, or attempting to send multiple MIDI tracks to the same VI, can be a struggle.

Avid?
Old 02-05-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Multiple studios in multiple locations using various and different gear/OS/versions of PT have experienced this bug, so it's something else. It may be a ghost plaguing and following our company specifically, but there's another explanation in here somewhere. The headaches associated with striking the computer don't equal those associated with this sporadic bug. For new sessions, I can just record MIDI to the Instrument track. But recalling old sessions which had MIDI on MIDI tracks, or attempting to send multiple MIDI tracks to the same VI, can be a struggle.

Avid?
Since you give zero system info on either your own system or the others What's being used? What's common amongst the affected systems? If this was a common bug it would have made major news here. When the various systems get a new operating system do they do clean installs of everything?

QAPLA!
Old 02-09-2021, 11:41 AM

Been in touch with Toontrack tech support and they say EZ Drummer does have multiple MIDI channels but you can only use one at a time.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2021, 10:23 AM

It's happening again today, and again with a single-channel VI, and again EZ Drummer. Try to select EZD on a MIDI track and voila... it instantly changes to another VI that's (not* EZD. It's an annoying issue, and, again, not so much a problem for new sessions because I can record MIDI into the Instrument track, but when recalling older sessions it's a hassle.

This is definitely a bug, and an old one. Please address it Avid.