Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-03-2003, 01:44 AM

Default Protools vs Digital Performer

I've been a DP user ever since it was released, so I'm very familiar with the program/ features/sound. Lately, I've been thinking about switching over to PT/TDM.

I guess my main concern is, for those of you who made the switch, was it worth it, and do you find that Protools/converters are better than DP and its converters?

Thanks in advance.
Imagine
Old 03-03-2003, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Protools vs Digital Performer

First of all, you do understand that you can use DP on the front end instead of the ProTools software right? The HD Core system will of course bring you unbelievable power since everything runs on the cards and not on the host processor on the computer. You will be able to use TDM plug-ins as well.

With regards to the converter comment, yes, the Digi converters are much better than the MOTU converters, however, I always recommend using the Digi 192 Digital I/O and Apogee converters on the front end. That's where your sound will truly shine. Clock it all with the new Apogee Big Ben as well and you'll be extremely happy. The jitter ratio on that thing in unreal (next to nothing).

Your conversion, cabling, and clocking are abolsutely the most important elements in a digital studio. Choose Monster Studio Pro 1000 and M-Series cabling (m-series for AES/EBU, SP1000 for everything else except the wordclock cables which you should get directly from Apogee or an authorized Apogee dealer).

Hope that helps!
Old 03-03-2003, 09:07 AM

the question is, why do you want to switch? If you are able to do what you need to do, then spending money on new hardware and taking the time to learn new software is a bit of a waste...unless you like to spend money on new hardware and take time to learn new software.

As far as converters, it depends on what you are using now.

Are you more midi, more audio, or a mix? What track counts do you normally run? Do you use virtual instruments? Do you need to be in OSX now? All of these things go into choosing what system is best for you. PT is strong in some areas, weaker in others. Same with DP and Logic.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:08 AM

If you are using the program mostly for midi stuff and programing, then you will probably be happier using the DP for a front end. You do loose out on a few features, like quick punch. If you're mainly recording and mixing, then Pro Tools is far superior to DP. The PT mixer is great and TDM plugs are, as a whole, the best assortment out there. You do have to have a big set up to really make it rock. I have a mix with 4 farms, and I can do pretty much whatever I want without running out of DSP.

By the way, does anybody know what's up with the MOTU interfaces? They are advertised as +4, but anything above -10 or so on an analog meter is sure to produce an over. And when the over light comes on in DP you are sure to hear the clip. Is there no electronic specification for +4 input levels? I really believe that analog pre amps and compressors have a sweet spot, but you certainly can't come close to it in MOTU land. I never hear anyone complaining about this.

Steve
Old 03-03-2003, 09:35 AM

also, forgive me if I am wrong, but the MOTU interfaces do not have the clocking options of the Pro tools HD interfaces with their loop sync and the sync I/O.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:51 AM

the 896 is switchable to -10 or +4

What clock options do you want? There is WC in/out, and you can sync via the AES input (I do this with a Rosetta).