Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2016, 11:45 AM

Default pro Tools certs...worth it?

So I was considering getting pro tools certified. It is EXPENSIVE (no surprise from Avid there). At this point I can't even justify a plan renewal for I don't feel my $400 will get me anything good, and again...expensive. Instead of offering pro tools rentals, they should allow monthly payments on the upgrade plan...I paid full price for my pro tools which was a mistake because if I had rented, then I wouldn't need an upgrade plan. lesson learned. From what I see, each Pro Tools cert is at least $1500, and you would need at least 2 of them to be taken serious. But after reading several outside forums (not avid) people say it doesn't help get a job, it doesn't help get work. In fact, for freelance people it is said GEAR gets you the work...in addition to a body of show-able work of course. So for the minimum that's 3 GRAND. 3 grand is a ticket to A LOT of super nice gear...pre amps, a real 1176, 3 distressors, KILLER monitors, a KILLER mic (or mics), more room treatment.....you get the point.
I already took a class that cost me 800 bucks at a local recording studio in hopes it could lead to some connections that could lead to work...total bust. Even offered myself up for free to get coffee and clean toilets to earn an opportunity over time...still nothing. I learned a cool trick or two while I was there however. But, I did talk to the employees and pretty much NONE of them have any schooling, they just got lucky getting in the door.
All being said, it seems the ONLY way I'll ever get behind a board is to build my own business as I do not have the magic formula to get into a studio working for someone else. so...the pro Tools cert...anyone got one? did it help you get work? total waste of money and just get gear instead? any success stories?
I-7 Processor
16 GB or ram
2 Terabyte Glyph GPT 50
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Eleven Rack
Mackie universal control pro w/2 extenders, M-Audio trigger finger pro, Presonus monitor staion, Tannoy monitors, Lindell preamps/EQ's/Compressors, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:28 PM

Default Re: pro Tools certs...worth it?

Utterly worthless from a market perspective IMO, although you'll likely learn a thing or two.

Just one possibly jaded, life-long self employed audio engineer with no certs' opinion!! :)

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:02 PM

I figured as much. Pretty much anyone I have spoken to either knew somebody or fell into it by chance. Trying to sell yourself to a studio is impossible I think. Even if an opening were to become available, it's probably already been promised to a list of people who have been begging for years before you.
I-7 Processor
16 GB or ram
2 Terabyte Glyph GPT 50
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Eleven Rack
Mackie universal control pro w/2 extenders, M-Audio trigger finger pro, Presonus monitor staion, Tannoy monitors, Lindell preamps/EQ's/Compressors, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:50 PM

Default pro Tools certs...worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotic intent View Post
I figured as much. Pretty much anyone I have spoken to either knew somebody or fell into it by chance. Trying to sell yourself to a studio is impossible I think. .

Yep those jobs are b/c you know someone..... most likely the owners.

I met the main eng at Arlyn in Austin and the guy was like 28 yrs old.....how did you get this gig...he never answered the question

That's a 56 input (iirc) hybrid API/Neve console...a beautiful monster.

You will learn stuff from the certs for sure..:but the best way to go is to start using the software and be proficient....that way when the time comes, your ready.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:46 PM

Are you already proficient in audio engineering in general? When I first wanted to learn, I took a few community college courses in order to learn the basics. Learned a ton, and it wasn't too expensive (back then). I didn't have to enroll as a full time student, since I already had a couple of degrees, don't know the situation in your area. Of course in those days, the studios at the community college were using 1/2" eight track or 2" 24 track tape recorders, but the principles still apply. Plus it is likely the instructors are practicing engineers or have good connections with working studios.

If you are patient in reading the PT manual you can learn the basics pretty quickly. For advanced topics, there are bound to be some good YouTube videos to watch. I know I learned a lot about elastic audio and beat detective on the net.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:47 PM

Audio Engineering and using Pro Tools are two separate disciplines.

There are plenty of people who know how to use Pro Tools but many have a limited knowledge about audio engineering.

These days unless one is proficient (and in many cases qualified) at both, they're not much use to any serious studio.

Learn the trade AND the tools if you want a shot at a real job within the industry. Even then, no guarantees.

Back in the seventies, it seemed a lot easier to get in. Party hard with the right people, be prepared to clean up the vomit and voila!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotic intent View Post
3 grand is a ticket to A LOT of super nice gear...pre amps, a real 1176, 3 distressors, KILLER monitors, a KILLER mic (or mics), more room treatment.....you get the point.
Really?...LOL, if you're serious 3 grand gets F@#k all in this game son.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 10-13-2016 at 12:12 AM.