Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-27-2020, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Direct Box for Bass into PT - Recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyko View Post
Avalon U5 if your budget allows...Never ever any of my basses did sound better.
I second that. Best sounding DI I've ever used for bass or electric guitar. I've used it for years, exclusively, for recording guitar and bass with PT.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
8 Pre has 8 DI or mic combo inputs. So start there. No reason to be buying anything else unless you are unhappy with the results, and especially if you have hum issues then try a transformer based DI.
Thanks Darryl. I’m wanting to record the miked amp (dirty tone) and the direct in (clean tone) simultaneously though. Wouldn’t I need the DI to split the signal so I can record both tones simultaneously? Asking bc I’m not sure.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Thanks Darryl. I’m wanting to record the miked amp (dirty tone) and the direct in (clean tone) simultaneously though. Wouldn’t I need the DI to split the signal so I can record both tones simultaneously? Asking bc I’m not sure.
Two things.

First of all you need to record both signals from same interface so you have same latency compensation.

Second, you need to measure the distance from mic to speaker, then later on adjust the mic'd signal which is "late" compared to direct.

I have had great results with Focusrite ISA1 both in studio and live environment. But whatevver gear you use, you need to know that the mic'd signal needs to be adjusted depending how far you have placed the mic. NOTHING will change that fact.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Every DI box I've ever seen has had more than one output. One goes to the interface, and one to the amp.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
There are many ways to skin a cat.

I was thinking the most basic like start just recording using a DI and see if you like the sound. See if you like the sound of that wet through an amp sim.

Your 828 Mk II has mic send outs, you can try DI into the interface and out the send into the amp, turn it down or attenuate it.

If you have a guitar/bass AB/Y splitter you can likely use that to split signals with no problem. A straight Y cable splitter may get you into ground loops, but you can also try that if you have a cable handy.

I am not saying this is better than a nice DI box, especially many of the ones mentioned here. I'm just suggesting you start playing with that you have and see where that takes you.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
There are many ways to skin a cat.

I was thinking the most basic like start just recording using a DI and see if you like the sound. See if you like the sound of that wet through an amp sim.

Your 828 Mk II has mic send outs, you can try DI into the interface and out the send into the amp, turn it down or attenuate it.

If you have a guitar/bass AB/Y splitter you can likely use that to split signals with no problem. A straight Y cable splitter may get you into ground loops, but you can also try that if you have a cable handy.

I am not saying this is better than a nice DI box, especially many of the ones mentioned here. I'm just suggesting you start playing with that you have and see where that takes you.
Oh gotcha, thanks!
Old 09-28-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Every DI box I've ever seen has had more than one output. One goes to the interface, and one to the amp.
Yes understood. I was just responding to Darryl’s suggestion that I wouldn’t need a DI at all if I went straight in to the Motu 8Pre, so I was letting him know I was wanting to capture two different sounds (one clean and one dirty) at the same time, illustrating that in this case a DI may be a good way to go. Thx.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:55 PM

The Avalon U5 is excellent, but for a lower budget choice, I recommend the Countryman 85 DI, particularly for rock music.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:36 PM

Damn this thread has me wanting to buy a whole lots of DI boxes. I can't afford to do that. I have no money left after recent guitar pedal shopping. I swore I was going to stop that, especially being on the waitlist for a Fractal FM3... OTOH rest assured dear bass and guitar community that JHS Pedals should be in business for years to come
Old 09-29-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Damn this thread has me wanting to buy a whole lots of DI boxes.
Check out the Radial JDV. Radial bought the design from John Vrtacic who’s original hand-built units were part of the secret sauce at Little Mountain.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control