How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Help setting up Pro Tools + Eleven Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndergroundLab View Post
Headphones, to answer your first question.
I have the guitar plugged into the guitar input. I have the guitar pedal plugged into the "sending" end of the FX Loop, pressing the button under it outward for Stompboxes FX.

Without Pro Tools, I can hear guitar just fine, but what I am hearing. Its not as much Pro Tools as I'm pulling teeth to figure out as it is hearing distortion and effects come form the Boss pedal, not the Eleven Rack.
You have the pedal plugged into the "sending end of the FX Loop".. ah hopefully you have the FX Loop out going to the pedal input and the pedal out going to the same side of the FX Loop in (use Left for mono pedals)... just like on a real amp FX Loop. Just using standard instrument cables, as described in the User Guide.

Pick a simple rig, using an type of amp you are used to. Turn off any active Eleven Rack effects in that rig. You should be able to easily tell if an effect in the FX Loop is engaged or not? What effects are you trying to use? Common mistake is not turning up the FX Loop levels enough. Play with the amp sim gain/master volume and convince yourself that is working like a real amp. Then try sticking eleven rack fx sims in place, moving them around, adjusting control values etc. Play with things that will be super obvious if they are working like reverb or modulation effects. Work out all this before trying to mess with Pro Tools.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are bouncing around like crazy, every post is complaining about some other problem. How the FX Loop works is very well described in the Eleven Rack User Guide. If you are trying to understand the FX Loop with your pedal start there. Live setup, no Pro Tools involved. You need to understand/use the FX Loop level settings etc. in the ER front panel menu and know how to move the position of the FX Loop around in the Rig, also in the front panel menu. Also helpful for debugging anything is to use the meter display in the front panel display (scroll to the far right of the display). Guess where all that is documented...

If you are trying to understand how to record with Pro Tools follow my last post. Recording with Pro Tools has *nothing* to do with getting effects in the FX Loop to work. And I agree the Eleven Rack User Guide does *not* help a Pro Tools newbie get started with using Pro Tools itself. YouTube is you best bet there.
l
Let's forget about Pro Tools for a brief moment.

I have spent the last two hours trying to figure this out. An exhaustive Google search, trying to find YouTube videos (other than the link you provided) and plugged into different slots on the back, as well as messed with the interface, And rereading and rereading the manual. Its been a nightmare just to get me nowhere.

All I want is to hear my Boss pedal without any effects or distortion coming from the Eleven Rack. I go to FX Loop, hit Controls (like it says in the manual), and unlike videos I've seen, when I turn the "Mix" up, it kills the signal. Turn the Mix down, I can hear the signal, but regardless of whether or not I turn up or down the "Send" or "Return" knobs, I still get no signal from my Boss, even with the pedals master volume all the way up and the volume pedal pressed all the way down.

At this point, unless a pro audio fairy comes down and casts a miracle, I might as well use a mic and record it into Pro Tools as I play out of the amp, not Eleven Rack, because this is just a fruitless search. Avid, write your manuals more concisely next time. Sheesh.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 PM

Turn off the FX Loop (you did have it turned on before right?). Put your boss pedal between the guitar and guitar in. Get that working first.

If that works and the FX Loop does not, it is still something you are doing wrong with the FX Loop which you can sort out later.

One way to play with/check out the FX Loop is just jumper a instument cable between the FX Loop send and return. Play with the level controls and understand what is going on there.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Turn off the FX Loop (you did have it turned on before right?). Put your boss pedal between the guitar and guitar in. Get that working first.

If that works and the FX Loop does not, it is still something you are doing wrong with the FX Loop which you can sort out later.

One way to play with/check out the FX Loop is just jumper a instument cable between the FX Loop send and return. Play with the level controls and understand what is going on there.
Coming back with a cool head.

Yes, I had the FX Loop switch pressed outward for stompboxes, with the FX Loop not bypassed.

I'm still getting neither to work (and I don't have a third instrument cable), I'm going to see how to set up the mic to set it up in front of the guitar cabinet, and record that way.

That way, I;ll get the tone I need, and be able to switch quickly between clean and distorted guitar, instead of switching through different patches. This will be fun.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:57 AM

I'm not following the "don't have third instrument cable. You need three cables, 2 for the FX loop/box and one for the guitar to guitar in.

When you get back to the FX loop post a photo here of your cable connections, and of the FX loop settings/levels on the front panel display. And of the overall rig showing where the FX loop is placed.

How are you listening to this? Headphones into the Eleven Rack or monitors on main output of a guitar or other amp connected to amp1 or amp2 out? And if the later then you may have amp1 or amp2 tapping signal in your rig before the FX loop.... easiest thing is to debug with is headphones.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I'm not following the "don't have third instrument cable. You need three cables, 2 for the FX loop/box and one for the guitar to guitar in.

When you get back to the FX loop post a photo here of your cable connections, and of the FX loop settings/levels on the front panel display. And of the overall rig showing where the FX loop is placed.

How are you listening to this? Headphones into the Eleven Rack or monitors on main output of a guitar or other amp connected to amp1 or amp2 out? And if the later then you may have amp1 or amp2 tapping signal in your rig before the FX loop.... easiest thing is to debug with is headphones.
The FX Loop question is going to have to go unanswered for now, because I don't have a third cable on me. I don't have a phone at the moment either..

As I said before, headphones.

So, that FX Loop nightmare put aside for the time being, I'm looking at the second option, which is setting up a mic in front of an amplifier , using the mic input on the front of ER, and recording guitar/bass that way.
1.I have the microphone plugged into the mic input.
1. Despite turning the gain up full blast, I am getting no signal.
3. The Boss pedal is plugged into the amp I'm recording through.
4. The ER manual only says what to do if the signal is too low, not if it is lost altogether.

5. I went into "Rig Input" and selected "Mic"
Old 12-30-2015, 09:16 AM

Never mind on the mic question. I got a signal.

I was able to hear it......all nearly turning it up all the way.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndergroundLab View Post
Never mind on the mic question. I got a signal.

I was able to hear it......all nearly turning it up all the way.
What mic? If a condenser is the phantom power turned on?

Are you experienced at mic'ing cabs? Start with the mic right up close. Touching the face of the speaker grill, near the edge of a speaker cone... at least for a dynamic mic like an SM57/58.

But the likely issue here with volume is you are feeding the mic'ed cab signal though a guitar rig in the Eleven Rack that is doing God knows what to it. And you may not get a perceivable loud signal out of headphones until you stick a amp sim in the Eleven Rack rig.

There are also multiple volume controls to be aware of. Rig out, heaphones, main volume, etc. the front panel volume knob may not be controlling the headphone volume, etc. play around and understand all those. Play with that stuff as having to dime the mic preamp gain to hear stuff may not sound good at all.

The mic input is usually for recording an acoustic guitar or electric guitar amp/cab direct into Pro Tools (not processing that via the rig). It's also occasionally used by folks to process vocals or acoustic guitar through effects in the rig.

I'm not sure what you are tryign to do. If it was me I'd work out how to get a amp sim in the Eleven Rack to sound reasonable (just the amp sim, no effects) then stick your effects pedal in front of the Eleven Rack.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
What mic? If a condenser is the phantom power turned on?

Are you experienced at mic'ing cabs? Start with the mic right up close. Touching the face of the speaker grill, near the edge of a speaker cone... at least for a dynamic mic like an SM57/58.

But the likely issue here with volume is you are feeding the mic'ed cab signal though a guitar rig in the Eleven Rack that is doing God knows what to it. And you may not get a perceivable loud signal out of headphones until you stick a amp sim in the Eleven Rack rig.

There are also multiple volume controls to be aware of. Rig out, heaphones, main volume, etc. the front panel volume knob may not be controlling the headphone volume, etc. play around and understand all those. Play with that stuff as having to dime the mic preamp gain to hear stuff may not sound good at all.

The mic input is usually for recording an acoustic guitar or electric guitar amp/cab direct into Pro Tools (not processing that via the rig). It's also occasionally used by folks to process vocals or acoustic guitar through effects in the rig.

I'm not sure what you are tryign to do. If it was me I'd work out how to get a amp sim in the Eleven Rack to sound reasonable (just the amp sim, no effects) then stick your effects pedal in front of the Eleven Rack.
Its been a year since I've used Pro Tools, a year or little more since I first learned how to use this behemoth at the local community college.

Its just your run-of-the-mill mic I borrowed from our karaoke machine, run of the mill dynamic mic. I don't have the money to invest in different mic stands, microphones, and in some cases, even cables. Just to get enough of a signal from say, rhythm or lead guitar in Pro Tools, the sound literally has to be blaring through the headphones, making me go deaf. I don't have any experience micing anything, a lot of what I do is trial and error.

When i playback, I notice a "hissing" sound in the background. I'm not quite sure what that could be, unless somehow the mic was picking up the computer running, but I doubt it.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:49 AM

If you are turning up the preamp all the way you are likely hearing noise from that.

There are two entirely separate things here.

One is recording the mic through Pro Tools.. you do *not* normally then set it as rig input. Just select the Mic input as the input of a track in Pro Tools.

The other is wanting to process the mic through the rig for effects. Then you do select the mic as rig input... and then record the rig output (Main Out L and/or R) into the track.

What one are you trying to do?