Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-18-2004, 11:38 PM

Default question about multichannel WMA9Pro

I was at AES last October and saw the Digidesign/Microsoft special exhibition of multichannel WMA9Pro export from PT XP. What version was that? Is it out yet? I see Pro Tools 6.1.1 was enhanced with better WMA support, but this appears to only be for the LE version or HD hardware. Is there a version of 6.1.1 for Mix cards? I'm currently on 6.1 w/ XP and a Mix system w/ acoompanying PCI Farm card.

Thanks -MG
Old 03-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Avid

Default Re: question about multichannel WMA9Pro

Hi,
If you are running 6.1 you should have the option to bounce Windows Media files in surround. Make sure you have 5.1 selected as your bounce source. You should be able to pick Windows media for your file type, and 5.1 surround for your format.

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 04-05-2004, 09:18 AM

Hello folks... I have a 48K 5.1 session, but it looks like it will only bounce WMA "old style" i.e. it wants to convert my session output to 44K, it wants to make it stereo etc. and it's not calling it "WMA 9 Professional." This makes it seem to me like it's WMA 8. The WMA9 has four flavours, "voice," "regular," "professional" and "lossless" - I'm not seeing much evidence of that. Am I incorrect? Still using version 6.1. -MG
Old 04-05-2004, 09:18 AM

p.s. it's only "WMA 9 Professional" that I need -MG
Old 04-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Avid

Hi,
These options should be there if you have 5.1 selected as a bounce source. It sounds like you do not have the option to select 5.1 in your bounce source field. You need to have something assigned to the 5.1 path in the Mixer. Is this a custom I/O setup that you are using? When you select new track do you have a 5.1. as an option. The problem is not the version of Windows Media installed it is that Pro Tools does not think you have a 5.1 path available. Create a new track and set its output to 5.1. Look in the bounce to disk dialog and you should have a 5.1 available as a bounce source. Once you I/O situation is sorted out and you have a 5.1 bounce source you will see all of the options you are looking for when you choose Windows Media as a file type and hit save. If you cannot make it happen in your current session create a new 5.1 test session selecting the 5.1 I/O setup when you create it. Create an audio track set its output to 5.1. When you go to bounce to disk you should have 5.1 as an option and Windows Media should present to options you are looking for.
Hope this clears things up for you.

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 04-08-2004, 04:44 PM

Hello folks, it's definitely trying to bounce the 5.1 bus. You had me getting paranoid there

I can send you any number of screen grabs, or the session itself (sans audio WAVs), if you want to see the individual steps, or if you want to take this offline with me and get it figured out I can do that too. -MG
Old 04-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Avid

Hi,

We can take this offline if you would like. Update your profile with your e-mail address and I will shoot you a note tomorrow. If you get a chance create a new session with the vanilla surround I/O create a track set its output so that it reads 5.1 and then check to see if you have 5.1 as a bounce source. I still think it is an I/O issue. I think there may be something funny in the I/O setup of your current session. If you update your e-mail address I’ll send you an empty document that works for me and we can take it from there.

Thank,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 04-26-2004, 03:02 PM

Thanks. The "Email Address (for our administrative use only...not visible to other users)" already has an entry in it. Is that what you need? -MG
Old 04-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Avid

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean. If you can shoot an e-mail through the Tech Support Request form here:

http://www.digidesign.com/tsr/

we can start a dialog.

Thanks,

Digidesign Tech Support
Old 05-12-2004, 08:08 AM

In case anyone is interested, for the record it has been verified by Digi CS that Pro Tools 6.1 XP does NOT feature multichannel WMA9 support, only stereo 44K WMA8 support. You need Pro Tools 6.2 XP for it to work.