Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Default Create from Template is greyed out

Another baffling scenario...
Pro Tools 12.3.0
Windows 7
Session templates in Documents\Pro Tools\Session Templates

I am suddenly unable to create a new session from a template. This is a new problem, as I was able to do it before.

When I attempt to Create a Session, either from the initial startup dialog or from the File menu, the checkbox to "create from template" is greyed out (as are all the templates). Checking the box does nothing. Swearing doesn't seem to help either.

I've restarted, rebooted, created a new session without a template, loaded a previous session, but haven't found any way to make that little checkbox functional.

I record live performances, so this is a major issue. My saved templates are pre-configured with all the tracks, names, etc. for a given band. I've had no problem with it until this past weekend, when I couldn't pull up the template. I ended up opening a previous session and recording more tracks into it rather than start from scratch. It was messy but effective.

What am I missing - and is there a way to apply a template after a session has been created?

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Create from Template is greyed out

Maybe its looking in the wrong place? Open Preferences and check the default location(I think its lower left on the second tab). I am having a similar issue here in that I have folders full of session and track templates and I can't get PT to find them. Until you solve this, a work-around would be to create a blank session, go File>Import>Session Data>point to a previous session>select all the tracks, but click the option to Do Not Import down at the bottom. That way you get all the tracks, plugins and routing, but no old audio

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-19-2015, 01:57 PM

Yup, that did it. Somewhere along the line the pointer got messed up. Thanks for the assist!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:21 PM

I'm having the same problem. Just got Pro Tools 12. I'm not sure where to set my root folder and where to save my templates, but I certainly can't open the ones I have. Advice? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2016, 04:31 PM

If you have templates and know where they are, you could either:
A-move them to where PT is set to look, or
B-tell Pro Tools to look where they actually are.
This is done in Preferences on (IIRC) the Operations tab(in any case, its the second or third tab, lower left). I prefer to keep my own folder of track and session presets on my desktop and have set PT to look there. I do this for a couple of reasons. 1-every time I do an install or update to PT, it always feels the need to install/reinstall all the stock session templates(which I delete every time as they are useless to me). 2-if I do a complete uninstall, my own folder remains right where I left it.

If you don't have any of your own templates, I would open a recent session that has your usual stuff and just create/save your own. The stock templates offer little value over building your own

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave