Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 09:35 AM

Default HR824s sound too good...

I know, I know. It's like yelling fire in a theater, but please hear me out.

I've owned the 824s for several years now, and the problem is (IMO), everything sounds great on them, too great in fact. I'm sure I could add some NS10s along side of these to show only the ugly side of my mixes, but I'm a home recordist and I find the sheer size and volume of the 824s kind of overkill as it is.

Can anyone recommend a smaller pair of monitors that will showcase more midrange, but not actually sound like complete crud? Perhaps Genelec 1029a's will strike a better balance? I'm producing rock/pop and haven't struggled with sub info as much as midrange. I will go listen to your recommendations, but want some informed opinions to get me started.

Thank you in advance,

Proxy
Old 02-02-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Re: HR824s sound too good...

Dynaudio BM6A. $1699/pr.

It's one thing if you think your Mackies sound too good, but you failed to mention if you actually found your mixes translated poorly, you seemed to only assume how they would sound on NS10's. That's no way to judge your monitoring, imo. I got rid of mine as they were too big for my room, and yes, they sounded good, but there are many monitors that sound great and can give you an accurate representation of your mix, just like a great sounding monitor doesn't always make for a great mixing monitor. Just don't get rid of them based on how they sound. Something to think about.

I find my Alesis M1mk2Actives to be extremely detailed, non-fatiguing and for me, they work. For $400, they're not perfect, but I learned them, which is what you need to do no matter what you buy. When finances permit, I'm still going for some Dyns.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:47 AM

I take that back, here's what you should think about---> your room.

THEN, you can think about hopefully improving your monitoring.

Cheers.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:07 AM

Hey, Thanks for the response.

I find the HR824s translate only okay. I've used them in a couple of different rooms (treated, trapped and tirelessly toiled with), played with all of the cut/boost options, speaker position, and to a great extent, learned them. I just feel that I still get unexpected mid/low-mid results that I hear almost everywhere else, but not on the Mackies.

Yes, a friend of mine has the DynAudios/sub (+ns10s) and they sound unbelievable, and he does top notch work. But, I need to actualy shrink my studio size-wise for now. I went from Alesis Monitor Ones (which were too unclear - with bad translation) to HR824s (sound awesome, with okay translation), and I'm still wondering if there are a pair of monitors that are "just right". Ultimately I will do listening tests, but for now, your recommendations are very valued. Thanks.

Any others?
Old 02-02-2004, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I take that back, here's what you should think about---> your room.

THEN, you can think about hopefully improving your monitoring.

Cheers.
I definitely appreciate the effect that the room can have on the balance. I've used these speakers in many different locations and have spent a lot of effort installing bass traps, diffusors, decouplers, absorbers, and while all of those things helped, I still feel like I end up hyping myself with how great the speakers sound. Maybe I really do just need a second pair of smaller speakers that will reveal some of the honk and bonk that always seems automatically missing in the HRs.

Thanks for the feedback though, I really appreciate it.

- Proxy
Old 02-02-2004, 11:53 AM

If you're looking for more mid's you might try the MAckie 624's, the size down. They designed them for better Mid's focus. Or the KRK V6's. I personally don't reccommend Genelec's because those speakers really DO make things sound too good (IMO). My personal favorite's are the old Tannoy Super Red's 10". Lots of rock, pop and funk mixed on those. I haven't heard any newer Tannoy stuff, but you might try them. In the end it really comes down to being used to your speakers. Good Luck
Old 02-02-2004, 12:08 PM

the room has so much to do with it, especially IMHO with the 824's because of the passive/active woofer desing. that Passive radiator delivers (IMHO) slightly delayed hpyed bass that for me made them very innacurate. Others love it, and that's why monitoring is such a personal thing, and only you can decide what works for you.

You may need to tune something in the room in the first one or two octaves to make the 824's work properly. A small problem there could become a bigger one easily with the 824's low end system.

FWIW, I've been an NS-10 guy for decades, and still swear by them. About 6 months ago we changed out our B monitors (Genelec 1030A) for JBL LSR28P, and the difference is amazing. We are totally happy with this combination, and our mixes translate perfect first time every time. We're saving our clients time on every mix because of this, and not having to struggle with anything.

The new release JBL6328P's are (so I have heard) even more amazing. While the pricetag is not easy to swallow (about $2000/pr) they are well worth every penny.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:04 PM

I worked at a studio that had 824s and NS10s and I actually liked switching back and forth. Based on many of the responses here and elsewhere, perhaps my best option is an additional pair of monitors that are more midrangy. I would say the NS10s are the logic choice, but are there a pair of powered monitors that could function as a good complement to the 824s? I've heard the MSP5s are similar to the NS10s. Someone also suggested patching is some mid/small home stereo speakers for this purpose - I have some technics lying around that must have a 4/5" woofer - maybe that's all I need to balance the Mackies.

- proxy
Old 02-02-2004, 05:44 PM

I had the big Mackies AND a set of NS-10s, but I still wasn't happy.

I felt the Mackies wanted to be in a huge, perfectly-tuned room in order to chill out the weird low mids. I also found them fatiguing to listen to all day AS NEAR-FIELDS (they sound better cranked up really loud, at a distance). As for NS-10s, I get the concept, but seriously, I can't listen to them for more than a few minutes.

So I got rid of everything and got the Dynaudio BM6As. I love the way mixes translate, I feel like I can hear everything, AND they're still great-sounding (for the inspiration factor when I'm tracking, composing etc). These speakers are absolutely up to the hype. You really need to check them out.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:02 PM

i was listening to monitors this weekend and i wasnt impressed with the mackies or the krks. however i did enjoy the sounds coming from the event 20/20s and smaller tr series