Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2001, 09:56 AM

Default desperately syncin\' Reason

quick overview of the setup:

M-Audio 2496 card - used to run Reason - the outs of it into Digi001 inputs 3 & 4. Monitor Mode pressed, all is good.

The ideal:

To be able to sync Reason and PT via Midi Clock. It seems I have tried everything, from soundcard configs., to Audio and Midi preferences in both applications. Opened one app before the other, then vice-versa and in the end....nothing.
Just error dialog boxes, one after the other.

Even if the ideal sync of PT and Reason cannot be done for the time being, can it be done with Reason and...ACID? Oh, I have tried all the above with Acid as well, and same thing. I thought it would be at least cool to be able to run DirectX and Wave plugins on my Reason instruments, as opposed to it's own effects (which truly suck, despite what an awesome program it is).

If anyone can de-mystify the sync issues,

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ...pleae help!?

pk
Old 08-27-2001, 02:07 PM

Default Re: desperately syncin\' Reason

drunton,

thanks so much for this info, I do have Hubi's LB somewhere on disc and will install it tonight.
However, isn't there still some audio card conflicts to be expected? By that I mean, it seems no matter what I tried, I could never run both apps at once, even while they both use their own separate cards! Digi001 for PT and M-Audio 2496 for Reason...

I will try the above, though. I will post my results shortly.
Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.

pk
Old 08-27-2001, 07:52 PM

pk, that shouldn't be a problem. Just tell Reason to talk to the M-Audio card. I did the same thing, Reason to the Layla, PT through the 001. Worked fine for me. I wish you the same luck.
Old 08-28-2001, 12:20 AM

pk, I know this can be done, since I have successfully had Reason sync'ed with PT. Here's what you need to do.

Install the Hubris Loopback device. This is a piece of software that creates 4 new midi ports, but they are all software based. When you start PT, or any other midi program after the install, you will have 4 more midi ports to choose from, labeled LB1, LB2, LB3 and LB4.

I am going to use the example with LB1, but you can use any of them. Tell PTLE to send Midi Time Clock (MTC) to the LB1 device. Inside Reason tell it to sync to LB1 and then to wait for the sync (there is a button on the Reason transport for this). Press play in Reason and it will be waiting for the clock. Press play in PT and Reason will start and stay in sync.

Now here's the catch. Reason doesn't seem to receive song position pointer (SPP). That means it starts from the cursor location and plays in sync with PT. But... if you are not at the same cursor location in PT, the sync will be there (by beat), but not according to your song. So you rewind both to the start of the song and start, or as you are composing highlight and loop the same set of measures. It's kind of a pain, but it does work.

Also, ACID, Gigasampler, Logic, or any other program should work the same way. Use the Loopback device to send and receive midi clock without actually leaving the PC.

Good luck. Dave