Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2009, 05:24 PM

Default Automatic warp marker placement without quantizing?

I've just got my hands on Pro Tools 8 today and as an ex-Logic user, I am very (VERY) impressed. There is something I could really use some help with though, regarding the placement of warp markers.

I have been watching the Digi TV videos regarding these within Pro Tools 7.4 and in the video "Elastic Properties and Warp Markers" at 3 min 44 sec in, Phil Jackson is moving a kick drum around without first quantizing the audio to change the event markers into warp markers. Can this be done or has the sequence of what he's doing been shortened for the video?

Is there an automatic way to analyze the audio and create the warp markers at the same time, rather than having to quantize the audio or place the warp markers there manually, or is that me asking Pro Tools to be Ableton Live?

Any help you can give on this would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Automatic warp marker placement without quantizing?

Can't help you much but for a trick I just learned. If you hold the shift key when you click on a warp line, it will lock the markers on each side of the one you click on so you can adjust that one without moving anything else.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-14-2009, 07:31 PM

I had this question too... I had the same problem albee was alluding to where other warp markers were moving when I would move one.

I do agree, though, that the video looks like Phil is just moving the warp markers without hitting shift and his markers aren't moving any others.

Hopefully someone with more info is reading!
Gear: UA 6176, UA 2-1176, Daking IV, Presonus ADL-600, 2 GAP PRE73
Other Software: Ableton 8, Reason 4, Sibelius 6
Plugs: Mercury Bundle, Full UA
Old 03-15-2009, 03:05 AM

Thanks for the tip!

It did kind of throw me when I first tried it after watching the video, so I looked in the manual and then watched some of Phil's other videos to get a better idea of what was going on.

If there is no automatic way, I think it would be a cool feature to add in an update, so that you didn't have to quantize or manually place them, they were just there to start moving around, as it would really speed up the workflow (though seeing as how I had nothing like this in Logic Pro, I can't really complain).
Old 03-15-2009, 03:58 AM

All you should need to do is double click on the analysis marker and this will turn it into a warp marker.

When you instantiate elastic audio on a track it automatically gets analyzed and analysis markers are created. Switch into warp view and the analysis marker lines will be there. COuble click on one and now it's a warp marker.

What Digi needs to implement is a way to turn all analysis markers into warp markers WITHOUT quantizing the region. ATM, the only way (afaik) to turn all the analysis markers to warp markers is to quantize the region. Otherwise you need to do it one by one by double clicking.