Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 09:19 AM

Default OT : KRK V8 Monitors

Hey all,
I wanted to get some input from anyone who may have had any experience with these monitors. I've got a chance to get a hold of these for a pretty decent price (about $500 for the pair, out the door - demo model at a local music store, but still in great condition). I just found out that this series was recently discontinued...

Just curious if it's worth the buy, or should I use the money elsewhere. I have a good friend running a studio who says I should go with some JBL's... I know each person has their own particular choice, but I was just curious about the general consensus regarding the KRK's.

Money IS an issue right now, so this does seem like a good buy. I'm currently trying to get my home studio "up to par," and the monitors is one area where I'm extremely lacking.

Any feedback on this, I would really appreciate - I'd like to hear from anyone who's used these before - I really value everyone's opinion on the DUC, so in advance, thank you!

http://www.krksys.com/v3/vseries_v8.asp
Pro Tools 6.4
Digi 001
Old 05-11-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Re: OT : KRK V8 Monitors

Personally, I don't like the sound of KRK, not for the stuff I do. Some people swear by them. Why not take a few of your fave cd's and listen to them there? Even if you get a dozen replies with the vote of confidence for this purchase, you might hate the way they sound in your room. Alternatively - if money is an issue - try the Alesis m1mk2 Actives ($399/pr - they work great for me, while many peeps hate them).

Just goes to show you.....listen and decide for yourself.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:47 AM

Cool - thanks for the reply. Good idea and I will do that. I'm just kind of jazzed about the whole process, seeing how money is really tight right now, and the only monitors I've had are these Roland MA-8's, which are just used primarily as computer speakers, games, etc...

There's so much that I seem to miss (frequency wise) when recording, mixing, that I want to make sure I make the right decision, and get a decent pair of monitors that will last me for a few.

Thanks again.

What kind of music are you doing?
Pro Tools 6.4
Digi 001
Old 05-11-2004, 12:26 PM

I used the Roland MA-8's for the first few months of ProTools (reasoning that if I listened to other CD's on these speakers, I could kind of match my mixes to that sound) Boy was I wrong! I bought the Event TR -5's (powered monitors) and it was the most important $300 I've spent since I started. I heard "things" that were completely missing in the MA-8's. Whatever you decide, any upgrade (big or small) will be money well spent.
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 05-11-2004, 02:20 PM

Stay away from those speakers, the V8's are horrible. Really really harsh high end, and very poor response everywhere else. One of the studios I work for had a pair - we do rock, soundtrack and a cappella work there - and they were unusable. We now have NS-10m's, which have their good and bad parts, but a least you can trust what you hear, which is not the case with the V8's. KRK does make some decent stuff, but those speakers aren't part of that line.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:05 PM

Wow,

I guess it depends on your room, because I've got a pair, and they work really well for me. I did notice that the KRK's were harsh, but my mixes were harsh before the KRK's, and I figured they were being honest about my mix. Anyway, to make a long story short they worked. My mixes started translating a lot better. I kind of took the whole NS 10 approach to them if you can get it sounding good on there it should work in most places.

I do find that the Event PS 8"s I have are a little more honest in the midrange body of the mix, I guess between 300hz and 1khz.

Thats just my experience. I was able to take them to the studio with me and use them before I commited which was a real help.

Good Luck!

By the way, I am not trying to say slim and anyone else is wrong. I respect slims posts. I learned a lot by reading his responses to other questions, Im just stating my experience with the KRK V8's
Old 05-11-2004, 05:28 PM

Of course you're not wrong - monitors are one of the millions of subjective things in this industry. If you like the way they sound and they work for you, then they're the right monitor for you - my post was just my own experience with the V8's, but obviously they work for some people or else they wouldn't sell them. Oh wait, they just discontinued them... guess that just makes them cheaper for the folks who like 'em!
Old 05-11-2004, 06:20 PM

Thanks for all the feedback - gives me a lot to consider - very much appreciated.

Man, do I love the DUC!
Pro Tools 6.4
Digi 001
Old 05-11-2004, 10:42 PM

I have them and love them. I also have a set of ns10's for a "second opinion". They are great monitors- serve me well. For 500 bucks out the door- do it.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:19 AM

if your gonna take a cd there make sure you bring one that you mixed.