Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Charles Dye\'s \"seven course in mixing\"??

Whether you agree with someone’s technique or not you learn from it, you can adapt, it gives you a mark to judge yourself against and improve from.

I can say that I have definitely learned from the majority of the posts/articles I have read on the Digidesign site (some more than others !!).

And one that’s stands out is the series from Charles (also "Enuff Q: How about some tips..." from Producer).

A book developed from these would be one I would buy and since Charles is already doing that, he has my respect.

regards
Scotsman
Old 02-07-2005, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Charles has mixed about 20 major to small label records in his entire career according to All Music Guide (not that AMG is completely accurate but you get the picture) On the oppsite end of the scale, Tom Lord Alge mixed 40+ records in 2004 alone. I'm not insulting his work..I'm just trying to maintain some perspective for those of you that cling on to every word of advice that he gives.

Flame away

It seems that my post was invisibly edited by the powers that be here at the DUC. For some reasons, they remove certain words that are used to make a point. Their watered down version is unacceptable to me. Further, I refuse to have my words changed without some kind of indication that they have BEEN changed. Therefore, if you would like to read my missive on this subject, you'll have to read it at my place, as it was intended to be read.

Here's the link

Thanks,

Mixerman
Old 02-07-2005, 07:24 PM

I, unlike Mixerman, do hang out here. Quite often really.

Let's just say that I "do" dig this format.

You may know me from that "Enuff Q how about some tips" thread

You must understand something. Digital technology is still in its infancy.

Guys like Charles are giving you the best information out there and there's just not much of it.

We're all here for the same reason. To learn. Some of us while we teach.

Be thankful that the knowledgable are willing to share. It's all you've got.

Most of the real Heavies are still mixing outside the box. They can't teach you much in this particular arena. I promise. I've re-learned alot to mix in that stinkin' (yet wonderful) box.

So we are the pioneers. Charles, Me and some of the rest of you.

So putting down Charles is similar to putting down Rupert Neve or Les Paul.

The best is yet to come my dear friends.

So stay tuned. Or as Mixerman so eloquently put it, bug off. (that word sounds different ITB)
Old 02-08-2005, 03:03 AM

Just saw your full post in Marsh, Mixerman.

Wish I had a way with words like you do.

Love ya man, God bless.

B.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 AM

Charles Dye is a damn good mixer, and a damn good sport for putting up with some of the crap he's gotten from troglodytes on the interweb.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It seems that my post was invisibly edited by the powers that be here at the DUC.
2 obscene words were removed, the same as they would be if anyone else had posted on our company website. As an author, you should be able to express yourself without profanity, just like the other 50,000 DUC members manage to do. Profanity is a violation of the DUC Terms of Use that you agreed to when you became a member.

Commercial posts are also not allowed, so if your purpose is to stir up controversy just to get people to go to your bookstore, then that will also not be allowed. If you can follow the rules like everyone else, then you are welcome to post here. Or not...entirely up to you.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:18 AM

Charles is a man among men. Almost SUPER Human. I'm tired of people that flame for no reason other than it makes them feel better about themselves. Apparently there are some insecure people out there. I agree with all that say Charles is a great mixer, and certainly one of the best ITB mixers on the planet. If I knew a 64th of what he does about ProTools, I'd still be a newbie. I have been to seminars where he has given out AMAZING amounts of information, and in ENGLISH, not AEspeak. Don't try and cover your own sorry butt by bashing someone that's better than you. Better at mixing AND a better PERSON overall.

Charles, you rock!
Old 02-08-2005, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Flame away

And flame we will.

What a pecker!

Charles is an Icon in the audio mixing, engineering WORLD not just the DUC.

Ever wish you could just take some things back?
Old 02-08-2005, 11:48 AM

Oh by the way....... Great book Mixerman!
Old 02-08-2005, 04:44 PM

Critisizing Charles' advice for the apparent reason that he lacks more than a handful of SUPER-successes, which are only a lifelong dream to your average Joe AE/ Producer... (99%, right? )

...Never minding that he HAS those, and that he's been making a living in the upper ecehlons of this AE business for some time now, which is INSANELY hard to acquire and especially maintain...

Has to be one of the most retarded things I ever heard.

In fact it only proves that the original poster is still in his/ her earliest stages of the learning curve on the road to good audio engineering or mixing. The ones a little farther that road usually are able to at least comprehend how much they DON'T know, and how much folks like Charles do.

He is a wonderful mixer and engineer, a wonderful online persona and obviously a VERY decent human being, so cut the crap, willya!!

(Oh btw, so he has done tracking jobs? Did you even realise that tracking AEs tend to be pretty darn important when you have real world-class musicians playing... If you can mix a little but you suck at tracking you really are north worth anything as an AE IMHO)
Windows 11 23H2, Intel i9-14900KS, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2024.3

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.