Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: OT Burning at 1x Speed?

Quote:
We burn at 1x daily with our superdrive using toast and Jam. Our experience is that 1x yields the msot compatible disc, and higher audio quality.
You mean compatible among CD players....not computers....right? Car, home, computer, portable....you have to remember that they will be used on a W-I-D-E range of equipment.
It had been widely published that 2x was THE most compatible speed to burn audio discs. One reason was the heat affecting adjacent tracks. Most of this was published 2 years ago. Drive technology has certainly advanced since then as has CD-R blanks quality (for the most part).
However, it pretty much assured that the disc could be played almost anywhere from the older CD players to the newest DVD/CD players.

Can you burn at higher speeds? Absolutely. Should you? Try it and if it plays OK on the intended machine....you should be set.
For people that need to burn many many CDs to hand out to band/choir members and need to make sure that it plays on everybodies home/car/computer players.....slow it down.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:16 PM

Toast with Jam burns at 1x on my G4 but I always burn at 1x or 2x--I'm in no hurry when it comes to burning my master discs to be sent off for duplication.
L.A.Branville
Old 02-02-2004, 01:33 PM

This is all very dependent on the exact burner and exact media in question. Different combinations of burners, burn speeds and media will produce different error rates in the finished burn.

That said, modern media and burners can produce HIGHER error rates at x1 than at higher speeds. Don’t believe me? Look here:

http://www.digido.com/portal/pmodule...56c298dd08a59c

I find the lowest error rates combination for me to be 4x burn in my Plextor Premium with Taiyo Yudan silvers. 2x is a very close 2nd and usually producers identical rates.

As far as different burn formulas (burner + speed + media) sounding different on different players, most engineers I know feel this is more of a problem with the players themselves; cheaper/older players tend to introduce more “playback” jitter as their spin control and buffer control get out of sync. Certain high-error rate burn formulas may exacerbate this problem by forcing the read mechanism to work harder

This jitter is not on the disc BTW, that’s why reading/ripping the disc back in and nulling it against the original produces identical results.

Here’s a very good explanation from Bob Katz’s website:

” To obtain jitter in the low picosecond region requires extremely accurate timing. Any leakage current (interference) between the servo mechanism controlling the speed of the spinning disc and the crystal oscillator controlling the output of the buffer may unstabilize the crystal oscillator enough to add jitter to the clock signal. This does not change the data, by the way. If the servo is working harder to deal with a disc that has irregularly spaced pits or pits that are not clean, perhaps leakage from the servo power affects the crystal oscillator. It doesn't take much interference to alter a clock by a tiny amount.”

Damon
Old 02-02-2004, 01:36 PM

I would do 1x if I were sending it for replication. I used to do 2x and found consistent results, but then worked at a mastering/dupe house and they did 4x when duping cdrs. Granted, time was probably a factor when running a business making cd in bulk, but we never really got any complaints that the cd wouldn't play. I now do 4x.

For what it's worth.

- Proxy
Old 02-03-2004, 07:05 AM

Where:

You are right I need to update my version of toast. It is a very old version, but it burned at 1 speed on an older G4 I had.

None the less, from all the other responses, I think I will just go ahead and stay with 4X burn.
I dont beleive I ever noticed an audi quality difference at all, but the freakin CD skipping all the way through the song is what I noticed.

I prolly need a new CD player for my car, because the disc really does not have a problem playing anywhere else to my knowledge.

Hell, I'll just get a new car!

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys!

I do not know where I would be without the DUC.