Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Default Re: PT HD 8.0.3 Access Violation has Occurred!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
803HD rarely crashes so far, but when I saw the "Access Violation," it often crashed HARD, sometimes followed by the dreaded top to bottom screen melt and computer lock-up.

I saw this three or four times in the first three days only...been fine since ... 803HD, 10.6, clean installed
FWIW, an Access Violation should be treated as a crash. I'd recommend rebooting the system after you see one.

dc
Old 05-15-2010, 09:26 AM

I have to - PT won't open again after the violation error.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
Did you update or install fresh? Been through your plugs? I'll bet dollars to doughnuts it's one or the other...

What do you mean when you say 'check through your plugins'? What am I checking, compatibility? Where do I find this out?

I am getting a massive # of DEA errors these days. The "access violation" error is also happening.

My machine is on meltdown right now. I've gotta get this figured out!! I hear a lot of people looking for answers but very little solutions.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The primary reason most posts don't get a reply is due to lack of information. Coming in here and saying 'same problem
They are telling you the problem!!!! Are you ready????

"Access Violation has Occurred!" Surprise!!!!

No one nows what is causing it. Mine happens when I zoom in to close. It has happened to me so many times. So many that I know no how to save the session and not loose any work when it happens. Cool huh?

I think you should call 8.0.3 a beta release at least no one will be as angry...lol
Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 AM

Started getting this error today....

Digi Tech Support is this enough information for you:

Per the "Help Us Help You":

MacPro 8Core 2.26Ghz, OS 10.6.2, PTv8.0.3cs2, 12Gig RAM, 1 LaCie 500G FW800 drive (currently online but unused), 1 USB MAudio Uno Midi Interface connected to my TASCAM DM-24 (mixer/control surface), 3 Seagate 7200 RPM Internal eSata 2TB Drives (primary Pro-Tools Work drives and Music Library Drive), 1 750G Internal Esata Drive (stock system drive) Stock Mac Mini 2.7GHz running PTLE v8.0.3cs2 with Video Satellite LE connected via Ethernet for video playback.

Factory installed OS on the PowerMac. Fresh PT install the day I got the Mac along with my PCIe upgrade PT cards. CS upgrades as they have become available. The only Non-Stock plugins I have installed are Revibe, Sound Shifter, Pitch-n-time Pro 2.5, and the Izotope Alloy EQ/Dynamics plug.

I have had this HD2 Accel rig with the above config running smoothly for almost 3 months.

Today I came in to work, booted up my system and Pro tools per usual. Without Even Opening a Session, I opened up the Workspace Window to audition some music from the Internal Library Drive. As soon as I hit a track to play in the workspace, I started to hear the track playback for about 5 seconds, then boom...."Access Violation Has Occurred" Hit OK to clear the error window, tried to play another track on another drive, and the Original Track I tried first started playing again (despite having selected another clip entirely in the workspace)...for about 5 seconds, then "Access Violation has Occurred"

Quit Pro-tools. Trash Prefs with the Helper application. Reboot. Repeated the above process, and got the exact same results. Trashed Prefs again, reboot again, open Pro Tools again, opened up a session this time. Hit Play (space bar) playback started as usual, but then PT was totally unresponsive (could not stop playback). Force Quit Pro-Tools. Trash Prefs. Shut Down PowerMac. Turned off Everything. Reseated all cables. Powered everything back up. Boot Mac Pro. Open Pro-tools. Open Session file. Playback and editing seem fine this time. Open Workspace Window. Audition track on a Different Internal drive from the original "Library" drive. "Access Violation Has Occurred."

Per the General Troubleshooting Thread:

I HAVE:

Searched the DUC for similar problems. Found this thread. Tested different Drives. Reseated all cables. Verifyed I'm using a supported Mac and my systems meets all of the minimum requirements. All Drives are formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled with Disk Utility. Not doing any record or playback from the System Drive. All drives are 7200 RPM or faster with 9 seek time or better Access time. No USB drives. Checked Plug-in compatibility...all ok. All evergy saver stuff done. Airport is off. Firewire Networking Disabled. No Spotlight Indexing. No File Vault.

I HAVE NOT:

Reseated PT cards. Repaired permissions on drives. Swapped RAM. wiped out my system drive and done a fresh install of everything (too many posts on this thread said that was ineffective for me to waste time trying at this point) I will do all of these steps EXCEPT for clean installs as soon as I finish this post and can shut down the system again.

As I said, this system has been working perfectly under some very heavy audio workloads for three months. I finally got a weekend off, and I come back in on Monday and poof! Suddenly this error. My whole system seems suddenly unstable, but the Workspace Window, which I rely on heavily in general is totally useless right now which sucks more than you can imagine.

WTF is going on? I've never submitted an error report before...is there a link to a thread that can explain how and I will do this if necessary also.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:26 PM

Try removing a few plugs, even though they are supported. Start with Structure if you have it. Suspected to be a problem maker by many.
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 15 GB ram, HD2 Accel, 192 I/O, PT 10, Mac OS 10.6.8. Dedicated internal drives for system and sample libraries. Recording few tracks on a network Synology NAS. More tracks on a Western Digital external FW800 drive. VI's from NI (Komplete 7), Toontrack, Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Vienna, MOTU (BPM), Ivory and a bunch of other plugs.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 PM

Well, ok, but is that to say that Structure just magically becomes corrupted one day and causes all this mess? I've never used it and like I said this started happening before I'd even opened a Session file at all. Went straight from PT boot to auditioning in the Workspace.

Other than structure, what plugs do you suggest I remove? As noted I've only got 4 "non-stock" plugins as it is. And all this has been fine, rock solid for months.

Would love some help from Digi Tech Support, now that I've jumped through all the informaitonal hoops for them as they requested in this thread.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Hey Postmike.... unless this has been addressed by digi in another thread I am amazed that this hasn't been sorted out. I have been having this issue as well...
For what ever it's worth, I suspect an old Kontakt 2 that I am removing...repairing finder permissions in addition to trashing prefs gets me back rolling.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmike View Post
Well, ok, but is that to say that Structure just magically becomes corrupted one day and causes all this mess? I've never used it and like I said this started happening before I'd even opened a Session file at all. Went straight from PT boot to auditioning in the Workspace.

Other than structure, what plugs do you suggest I remove? As noted I've only got 4 "non-stock" plugins as it is. And all this has been fine, rock solid for months.

Would love some help from Digi Tech Support, now that I've jumped through all the informaitonal hoops for them as they requested in this thread.
postmike -

If you want help from us, it's a good idea to go through the official channels (the Help Us Help You thread details how to do that) as we are not always here and cannot possibly chime in on every thread.

With that said, I'm going to do what I can for you. First I want to point out that not every problem someone has with software is due to a bug - very often (and I have 15+ years of experience backing my statement on this) it's caused by other factors. Computers are complex instruments and a failure in one component, be it software or hardware, can cause crashes and other anomalous behavior. Given that you've been working fine for 3+ months, it's likely that's the case with your system.

Too often people will lump things with the same error into the same category - for instance, in this case, an access violation isn't something that has a single cause, but people will have a tendency to point to a specific cause that someone had previous as being 'the problem'. It can lead to misdiagnosis and continued frustration as they attempt to use the same fix the previous case had, without getting the same results.

If I can get you to email me your log files folder (from inside your Pro Tools folder), I can take a look and see if anything sticks out. Zip it up and email it to me at: vi [at] digidesign [dot] com. Please include the thread number (1624601) in the subject of your email.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimeograph View Post
Hey Postmike.... unless this has been addressed by digi in another thread I am amazed that this hasn't been sorted out. I have been having this issue as well...
For what ever it's worth, I suspect an old Kontakt 2 that I am removing...repairing finder permissions in addition to trashing prefs gets me back rolling.
A perfect example of what I'm referring to - in this case, Kontakt 2 was extremely likely to be the problem, as it's known to be incompatible with the version of Pro Tools they're running.