Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-19-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Emergency.. Please help!

I have one MAJOR problem!!
I recently purchased an new 200 GB HD to function as an audio drive for my Mac G4 933Mhz. I have had it for 2 weeks now and it has been fine unil 2 days ago. I went to open a Pro Tools session (5.3.1 on OS 9.2), and it said files were missing. I searched the hard drive and it found nothing, but I could see the audio files in the audio files folder that they should be in. I tried to manually select the file, and it gave me the error "*file* is of an unknown type."

It has progressivly gotten worse over the past 2 days. When i first noticed the problem, only 2 songs were affected, but now I have over half the songs on the drive affected.

I ran Norton Antivirus on all the HD's on the computer, and it caame back with no virus, and the computer is not connected to the internet.

I also have ran DiskWarrior, and Disk Doctor. Disk Doctor reported a major problem in the header block, and that the files that PT can't open have damaged resource forks.

Details on the setup
Mac G4 933Mhz
1024 Ram
60 GB system Drive
200 GB internal Audio drive
60 GB external Backup Audio Drive

I have backed up all of the sessions and audio to my backup drive, but they are the damaged files. i just wanted to ensure that i wouldn't loose any more. I tried to open the session from both the system drive and the external, and they both gave me the same problem

I don't know what else to do. Is there a way of rebuilding/repairing the resource fork.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I posted a .sit file containing one of the affected files
http://www.transitstudios.net/Horn 1_06.sit
Old 05-19-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Emergency.. Please help!

Have you tried Disk Warrior? If so, what did the graph say after you ran it?
Old 05-19-2004, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Disk Doctor reported a major problem in the header block, and that the files that PT can't open have damaged resource forks.
Norton Disk Doctor, DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro, and Disk First Aid will not fix damaged resource forks. When these are damaged, as far as I know, they are not repairable, and you can kiss your data goodbye.

If the problem is getting progressively worse, I suggest you re-initialize your disk. If you've done more than breathe on the tower, you may also want to open it up and reseat the cables.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:06 PM

Yes I have tried disk warrior. It found one problem with an icon, which it repaired, and the graph, afterwards, looked exactly like it should.

I believe it is a problem with the resource fork. Does anyone know how to fix it, and how this could have happend, and how to prevent it from happening again?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:16 PM

You might want to check with Apple and make sure they don't warn against using a drive that large as an internal for a 933 Quicksilver in OS9. I seem to remember hearing something about that. Not positive. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:38 PM

The only problem with a drive that large and OS 9 is that you cannot recognize the entire drive. I believe the limit is 128GB of usable space in OS 9.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:51 AM

I talked to apple before i bought the drive. They told me that it is fully supported with my machine on both OS 9 and 10. I can also use the full size of the drive.

I still need help recovering these files. They represent 4 weeks worth of work that i really don't want to lose.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:21 AM

ooooops,
damn bad luck....I had that happen to me with an 18gig SCSI drive on similar system.

Really, neither Disk Warrior, TechTool nor Disk Doctor can help you here.
If you want to try something different.....use Resorcerer or ResEdit to look up
resource forks in valid data and compare that to your dead files.

It's a hit-or-miss thing here, but it IS possible to, eg. "change" some file's sampling freq
data field so that the system "thinks" it is different (useful if you mix up sample rates within one session).

But beware - resource fork meddling can lead to unpredictable system behaviour.

Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't despair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2004, 06:39 AM

ok, so i opened your horn file and found a damaged resource fork map
i had do delete it and tried to build new resource fork but i need more info on the fs an bit depth no of channels etc and maybe
we could recreate that map. as of now i am hearing some noise and scrambled brass sound - still better than nothing..

Old 05-20-2004, 08:26 AM

In ProTools SDII files, there are typically 4 types in the Resource Forks: ddOV, ddRL, STR & umid. ProTools can open files without the ddOV, ddRL & umid. These are ddOV: Overview file which is recreated if a SDII file is opened that does not contain one. umid: The unique identifier & ddRL: Resource fork which contains information regarding number of regions, user and original timestamps and a few other things that I can't recall immediately. You probably will have no luck rebuilding the ddRL field as it is all in hex and follows a very concise map (I'll include it below if you're feeling really crazy, but it would be extremely tedious...)

The STR field can be rebuilt easily, and its something that I have had to do when people put SDII files on a DOS FAT16 or FAT32 volume and the resource forks get nixed. The STR fork contains 3 resources:

#1000 "sample-size" - data is either "3" for 24-bit or "2" for 16-bit
#1001 "sample-rate" - data is either "44100.000000" or "48000.000000"
#1002 "channels" data is either "1" for a mono file, or "2" for a stereo file

The easiest thing to do is open a good SDII file in ResEdit (or Resorcerer) and copy the resource forks, then paste them into one of the bogus files.

With that said, proceed at your own risk. You can screw stuff up pretty good. Without rebuilding the ddRL resource, your files won't have timestamps and that may or may not make them unusable by the session. I am not sure if a ProTools session reads the timestamps from the resource forks of files in a session or if it has an EDL within the session that determines placement of files. I would guess its the latter, but they may have a checksum against the ddRL information.

You might try deleting the ddOV resource and see if that helps. If one of those became corrupted, it may not open the file, and this is a resource that gets rebuilt when opening a file without an overview (basically the picture of the waveform).

Peak might also be a good troubleshooting program as it opens SDII's and can display information regarding timestamps, etc. & it will rebuild waveforms.

Just for yucks, I've found one map of the ddRL, but it was incorrect, so here's what I've figured out for the map:

Byte #
00-01 Version Number (16bit)
02-05 Header Size (32 bit)
06-07 unknown
08-09 ddRL size - header
10-13 mod date in ticks since 1904
14-17 # of regions in file
18-25 unknown
26-29 size
30-33 unknown
34-37 user timestamp in samples
38-41 original timestamp in samples
42 length of name in bytes
43-73 name

They get a bit longer if there are a lot of regions in the one file (ex. if you exported region definitions to a long file) - the name fields continue on, but this is it in a nutshell.

Hope this helps a little bit, but you're probably in for some long tedious work.