Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: MIDI Timing in LE 7.3.1 is BUGGNUTZ!!

Quote:
I decide to change the bass synth, i do this without stopping, insert channel, assign new synth, start flicking about the presets.
All the time i'm doing this, as you all will know, Pro tools is spluttering, sound is off and on, reason drops out, comes back, the snare does a few double hits - the usual stuff.

By the time i get my new bass sound, the midi from the bass line is, as someone once noted, buggnutz!

On close inspection the midi notes have not moved, but they do not playback correctly.

This, sounds like a different problem. I mean, different "from" the kind of Midi stuttering that I was experiencing.

This does, indeed, sound like an application bug.

My question is, is the incorrect playback permanent, or is the problem fixed if you close the session and then open it again?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:41 AM

A link to the infamous "Dual Core Hotfix" (aka KB896256) everyone is referring to, with some background info

"...Because Windows XP was not originally designed to support performance states on multiprocessor configurations, changes are required to correctly realize this support on multiprocessor systems. Windows XP Service Pack 2 includes the required changes to the kernel power manager. These changes make sure that Windows XP correctly functions on multiprocessor systems with processor performance states.

This hotfix also addresses the following issues on computers that have multiple processors that support processor performance states:

• A possible decrease in performance on single-threaded workloads when processor performance states are using demand-based switching.
• The synchronization of the processor Time Stamp Counter (TSC) registers across processors when you use the ACPI Power Management timer on multiprocessor systems.
• ACPI C-state promotion and demotion issues in the kernel power manager..."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

File name: WindowsXP-KB896256-v4-x86-ENU.exe

Solved my problem!

DIGI you really should post this somewhere on your site that's easy to find. This is critical to Pro Tools operating as promised on a Windows XP/Multi Core system...
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Rev 3.3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
4x1GB Patriot DDR2 800
XFX GeForce 7950GT
Old 09-04-2007, 08:18 PM

Good for you CheekyPaul!!! This is not a new situation at all, and has been going on since the old days of PT5 OS9...seriously
I've written numerous posts about using my controller keyboard, Xpand, Reason, the weird notes, duplicat otes with those annoying notes hidden underneath, the invisible notes, duplicating regions that don't play the same parts, timing issues, notes that disappear when you edit them, etc, etc and am also kind of tired of the same answers. Sorry guys, but trashing MIDI prefs and databases and the AMS prefs DO NOT FIX IT
In one of my last posts, I asked how is it that a $300 program like Reason can work so well, yet PT cant?? I just don't understand. How can this be what I consider to be the best adio editor, and still be so far behind in the MIDI world? What is it going to take to finally get new MIDI code written into this program??? I thought 7.3 was supposed to be all about MIDI?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 PM

I just stumbled across this post in a search for anyone having similar issues that I'm seeing. I have the exact problem that Lord Rockmountain described. MIDI tracks are playing out of time and bussing the PT click to an audio track produces a click that is AHEAD of the grid (900+ samples the couple times I actually measured). Adjusting PT's playback buffer size makes a difference with lower settings being better. Any further developments on this DIGI?

I'm running:

WinXP Pro SP2
Protools HD 7.3.1cs3 (cs4 causes alpha mode issues with my ProControl) HD2 Accel
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (HT enabled)
P4 3GHz CPU
2 GB RAM (4 sticks 512 MB)
Matrox P750 (dual head/independent: Gateway FPD2485w 1920X1200 @ 60Hz, Viewsonic VG171b 1280X1024 @ 60Hz)
Western Digital 20GB system drive (swappable- separate drive with identical system for testing)
(2) Western Digital Raptors attached to onboard SATA via hot-swap bays (audio)
Plextor PX-716UF DVD/RW drive attached to onboard firewire
Evolution 61 key & M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 controllers attached to onboard USB
Digidesign ProControl attached to dedicated PCI LAN card
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 PM

I just stumbled across this post in a search for anyone having similar issues that I'm seeing. I have similar problems that Rockmountain and others have described here. MIDI tracks are playing out of time and in my case bussing the PT click to an audio track produces a waveform that is AHEAD of the grid (900+ samples the couple times I actually measured). Adjusting PT's playback buffer size makes a difference with lower settings being better. Any further developments on this DIGI?

I'm running:

WinXP Pro SP2
Protools HD 7.3.1cs3 (cs4 causes alpha mode issues with my ProControl) HD2 Accel
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (HT enabled)
P4 3GHz CPU
2 GB RAM (4 sticks 512 MB)
Matrox P750 (dual head/independent: Gateway FPD2485w 1920X1200 @ 60Hz, Viewsonic VG171b 1280X1024 @ 60Hz)
Western Digital 20GB system drive (swappable- separate drive with identical system for testing)
(2) Western Digital Raptors attached to onboard SATA via hot-swap bays (audio)
Plextor PX-716UF DVD/RW drive attached to onboard firewire
Evolution 61 key & M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 controllers attached to onboard USB
Digidesign ProControl attached to dedicated PCI LAN card
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 10-08-2007, 02:12 PM

I had this same problem back in the day (before soft synths) on my G4 running a mix 24 system (5.1, I think?). I was producing a 140bpm dance track for client with lots of fills and rolls and stuff. When I went to print the midi (external synths and samplers) to track, they would all record out of time (too fast and too slow up to a 1/64 note). This was extremely noticeable on the drums (hats, kicks, snares, etc...). It would seem to get worse as the track played along. I had to beat slice everything in audio to get the timing right. It's at that point that I sold my rig and switched to a competitor for my music production (I still like PTle for post work).

I wouldn't notice it as much on slower tracks or less percussive sessions?

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Curt