Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Minor Bug/Gripe - "Bounce to" location

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Exactly this. Renaming any file or folder outside of any program that’s referencing it is going to cause problems. It’s basic computing manners. It’s chapter 1 in the “good computing guide”.

Just don’t do it.

Sorry, but I'm not sure everyone is taking the time to understand the OP's post; the issue is not changing the *session* folder's name or location (this is obviously a very bad idea), but in bouncing to an external drive or external folder.

If you're in a photo editor or even in Pro Tools and export a file to an external folder or drive, then remove that drive, then do another export later, the program does NOT force a close and restart - you are simply presented with the option to export somewhere else. The bounce dialog should be no different as you are creating a new file external to the session (assuming it won't be used in the session); if the last external location of a bounce is no longer available you should be able to simply select a new one - in Pro Tools you cannot do this; instead an error is thrown and you're forced to close and reopen. This is certainly lousy UI design if not a bug.

Anyway, it is a minor gripe, but it has driven me bats on several occasions as, apparently, it has others.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 05-26-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Sorry, but I'm not sure everyone is taking the time to understand the OP's post; the issue is not changing the *session* folder's name or location (this is obviously a very bad idea), but in bouncing to an external drive or external folder.

If you're in a photo editor or even in Pro Tools and export a file to an external folder or drive, then remove that drive, then do another export later, the program does NOT force a close and restart - you are simply presented with the option to export somewhere else. The bounce dialog should be no different as you are creating a new file external to the session (assuming it won't be used in the session); if the last external location of a bounce is no longer available you should be able to simply select a new one - in Pro Tools you cannot do this; instead an error is thrown and you're forced to close and reopen. This is certainly lousy UI design if not a bug.

Anyway, it is a minor gripe, but it has driven me bats on several occasions as, apparently, it has others.

best,
rich
Points taken. I honestly can’t ever seeing an assertion error for this particular scenario but I’ll give it a whirl.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post

best,
rich
Thanks for this, Rich. Very concise and well stated. And clearly this has annoyed you as well. When I'm making revisions of revisions on a complicated set of deliverables, I do tend to refine the naming of the files and folders as I go, especially when on a tight deadline. Obviously I don't expect Pro Tools to magically read my mind and find the folder that I have renamed. But it would be nice for PT to default back to the Bounced Files folder, rather than throwing up an error and forcing a close and re-open. In previous versions, this required a quit and relaunch, so I guess we're getting closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Not a bug. Any any application would throw up an error message if you change the name of the destination folder outside of the application while its rendering or copying files. You’re asking the software to accomodate your impatience and unwillingness to just create a new folder prior to boumcing. It’s a matter of seconds.
To be clear, I am NOT doing this WHILE bouncing or copying. Only in between bouncing different mixes, stems, etc. I would totally understand the software throwing up an error if I moved or renamed a folder during an operation.

Last edited by originalscottyg; 05-29-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: addtl info
Old 05-29-2018, 10:06 AM

Default Minor Bug/Gripe - "Bounce to" location

Have you tried renaming folders using the Workspace browser? In doing so, one tells ProTools that a change in file structure has occurred, instead of the Finder (which PT has no way of knowing until a session is read again upon reopening it.)

That said, I’m with those who suggest that PT should simply ask for a new bounce destination, instead of throwing up an error alert.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Last edited by Andre Knecht; 05-29-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post
Have you tried renaming folders using the Workspace browser? In doing so, one tells ProTools that a change in file structure has occurred, instead of the Finder (which PT has now way of knowing until a session is read again upon reopening it.)

That said, I’m with those who suggest that PT should simply ask for a new bounce destination, instead of throwing up an error alert.
That's not a bad idea, I'll give it a try. I haven't really embraced the Workspace into my workflow, as I'm so fast in Finder, but it's worth a try. Thanks!!
Old 05-29-2018, 02:16 PM

I went ahead and created an ideascale topic for this. Please vote if this annoys you as well. Thanks!!

https://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd...a-tab-comments