Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2017, 07:49 AM

Default Pro Tools with OS High Sierra (PROBLEMS)

Hi

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but does anyone have trouble after upgrading their OS to High Sierra? I'm running Pro Tools 11, and after upgrading the OS Pro Tools suddenly started running very slow and laggy. It didn't the first couple of times, but I need to state out that it hasn't run without minor problems here and there. I tried to do a clean install, but nothing works. I read that Avid haven't confirmed a supported update yet, but I still need to ask if anyone experience the same problems as me, or have heard anything about an update?

Sincerely BF
Old 11-21-2017, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools with OS High Sierra (PROBLEMS)

High Sierra is NOT supported yet so any "update" won't come until they release a version that is supported first.

One way to get going again is to downgrade to Sierra and update your Pro Tools to 12 as PT11 is old now and wont be supported with any more release fixes so if you are staying on PT11 you would be on your own.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-21-2017, 08:19 AM

Why would you expect that to work? PT11 is not supported on anything past Yosemite.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 11-21-2017, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the answer Southsidemusic

Rich: I didn't know what to expect, which is why I'm asking. Sometimes companies make some of their products backward compatible to some degree. I do understand that I can't expect an older version would be up to date or it would be supported anymore.

But I have to point out I'm not an expert user of Pro Tools and have recently started to use it again, so I'm not up to date with the newest software, functions etc. which is why my question might seem a little stupid for those who have used it much longer than me, and are well informed. But then I can see it's about time to make an upgrade
Old 11-21-2017, 08:04 PM

People need to be aware of the possible issues of not being able to go back to the old HFS+ file system after upgrading, if they have changed their HD to the newer format. Also, there is the issue of not being able to read existing drives.

It seems there could be major problems for average users that are just used to pressing OK at every screen, if they are not informed of the possible consequences.

It may be a good idea to have a nailed post explaining what will happen when doing this OS upgrade with SSD drives, etc.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flores View Post
...Rich: I didn't know what to expect, which is why I'm asking. Sometimes companies make some of their products backward compatible to some degree. ...
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the link. It's good to have.

Since we're at the topic about versions of PT. Does anyone know if Avid would release a new version soon? I can't seems to find anything, and since I don't have any experience with how often they release, I think you guys might know something or heard anything?
Old 11-22-2017, 12:23 PM

Avid never releases any info about upcoming versions and those who does know are not gonna tell as they are under NDA so you just haveto wait and see.

Usually new software and hardware from any company comes out during the Namm and AES Messe in mid spring but no one here will be able to say anything

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-22-2017, 12:25 PM

That is what I assumed, since it's so hard to find any information about it. But we have to wait and see
Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 AM

From my experience its best to configure a system that works and stick to it! The way i see it, what ever year you jump into the PT eco system you've got a couple years of updates at best for your osx.However there are anomilies like, my PT10 works with the sierra side of my computer that said I'm running a dual partition with sierra on one side and 10.8.5 on the other which gives you quite a bit of flexibility and options for your work flow in your studio.I typically track in 12 but I mix in 10 because have some sick RTAS plugins that I love, its about really finding a good balance and not getting sucked into having the latest and greatest every time something new comes out!! just my 2 cents