Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 AM

Default Re: SPDIF to AES on SC48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingthor View Post
i use on a daily basis the digital out of venue to soundweb, never had any problem. and it makes a huge improvement on the audio.
I'm running my SC48 into my XTA DP448 processor AES with no issues. The less A to D/D to A conversions in the chain, the better. I'm also running my Trashcam CD-RW700 AES I/O to the desk with no problems.

Greg

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Avid

One more note on sample rate conversion (SRC)...

SRC can of course be used to convert from one sample rate to another (e.g., 48k to 96k, or vice versa), but it's also useful even when the two devices are at the same sample rate.

Even though two digital devices operate at the same sample rate, there is no guarantee that their digital clocks are in perfect synch. In fact, they almost never are. When devices are connected at the same sample rate but their clocks are out of synch you will hear audio, but with periodic clicks and pops. One approach to synching the digital clocks between devices is to use a physical clock connection, like a word clock.

SRC - even if it's not changing the sample rate - mitigates the need for the word clock connection by re-synchronizing the incoming audio at the receiving end. The net result is that the two devices are operating at the same sample rate, and even though their digital clocks may be out of synch with each other the resulting audio is free of clicks and pops.

Sheldon
Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 PM

I find myself using the digital I/O of the VENUE's quite regularly, with no problems or issues thus far (fingers crossed). MAXX- I raised an eyebrow when I read your first post...it kind of scared me...knowing the impedance difference and level differences between AES and S/PDIF. Not something I would have tried myself...without using a converter between the two.

Let us know if you find a working solution. I'm with Sheldon...I think if you put a S/PDIF to AES converter in line, everything will work just fine. If not, I'd look to getting a true AES output CD deck or going analog. I wish the iPod's had a S/PDIF or AES output =)

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |