How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2015, 11:23 AM

Default Duplicate playlist - delay on renaming

Hello all.

This is a problem I'm experiencing in PT 11.2.1 HD and PT 12.3.0 Native. PT 11 HD is on a new MacPro 3.5GHz 6-Core 64GB Ram OS 10.9.5. PT 12 on a Retina MBP 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram OS 10.10.2. I don't recall this happening on PT10HD or lower, however. It's possible this is an OS issue with how it handles dialogue boxes...

As I record vocals, I store all takes on playlists, whilst simultaneously building a comp on the fly and copying 'favourite' takes down to additional audio tracks positioned below my 'rec-track'. The purpose of this is to leave me with a rough comp, and a bunch of regions/clips that represent the 'greatest hits' of all the takes thus far.
Due to the sessions being so fast-paced, I usually jump back and start recording a second take before I bother with any housekeeping like duplicating playlists and copying regions to my 'comp' and 'takes' tracks. When doing takes of a set section in the song, I'll often use Pre Roll and keep my edit selection fixed (edit selection and timeline selection are linked) to make sure my selection is always covering the region I want to copy to other tracks.

The workflow:
- Record a take, decide to keep it and record a second take.
- Start recording second take.
- Immediately after pressing record, I duplicate the playlist (ctrl+cmd+\), hit 'Enter' to confirm the name provided, press 'C' to copy the region, tab down ';' to my 'comp' track, and hit 'V' to paste.
- Tab back up (P) to my 'rec-track' so that my edit selection is ready to copy and repeat this all over again.

The problem:
I usually complete this sequence of shortcuts very quickly... I hit 'C' (to copy) immediately after hitting 'Enter' to confirm the name of my duplicate playlist. It's as if there is a delay after I press 'Enter' however, because so often I end up renaming these dup playlists with the letter 'C' - even though I've already confirmed the name by hitting 'Enter'...

Anyone else encountering this problem... Thoughts on whether it's a Pro Tools or OS problem?

I hope I've provided enough info... Please let me know any Q's...

Cameron