Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2023, 03:21 PM

Default Bug? Automation breakpoint restrict to horizontal doesn't work on instrument tracks

(On Mac) Try command-option click dragging a breakpoint horizontally. There's no restriction. And it doesn't even properly position the breakpoint on release. Shift holds it vertically, command does fine adjustment, and shift-command does fine vertical adjustment as expected. But horizontal restriction seems broken. Anyone replicate this?

2023.12 but I've noticed this for some time across multiple OS and PT versions. I figured it was the VI but it's now two diff sessions with two diff VIs.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Bug? Automation breakpoint restrict to horizontal doesn't work on instrument trac

Holding Command Option an clicking performs "write breakpoint to previous automation value"

If you click an already created breakpoint and then hold Command Option you can "constrain horizontally' although I'm not sure where this is specified in the manual.

It is a little confusing and I'm uncertain if it's intended to work this way, since the other automation modifiers don't overlap like that.

Do you find this consistent with your system's behavior?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023.12 Automation.jpg (52.9 KB, 0 views)
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4

Last edited by skylar_battles; 12-24-2023 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Bug? Automation breakpoint restrict to horizontal doesn't work on instrument trac

Huh. Learned something new today. You're right if I click an existing breakpoint first then command-option, dragging is restricted to horizontal even on instrument tracks.

But there's still a discrepancy between instrument tracks and other types of tracks. Command-option first then click dragging an existing breakpoint restricts movement to horizontal on audio and aux tracks, but it's free-form on instrument tracks.
Old 12-25-2023, 04:16 PM

You're right there is a bug here for sure. On an instrument track horizontal restriction was not working for me at all, then started working and now stopped working again.

I'm still curious were you learned the function of these modifiers as I can't find documentation describing how this should work in either the reference guide or shortcut manual. A search for "horizontal" or "constrain" and going through all the occurrences didn't provide me the information I was looking for, and it wasn't mentioned in the automation section next to vertically constraint. It also says "write to previous/next" modifiers don't work with Smart Tool but they do for me the same as the Grabber Tool.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4