Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 02:31 AM

Default which compressor to buy?

I am looking for recommendations for a compressor to compliment my Focusrite ISA428 pre-amp and AT4050 mic.

We would be using it for both voice recording and foley sessions, and a unit with more than one channel would be nice (but not crucial). Its something i have very little experience with, so would rather trust those who have used them than the salesman who wants to shift them....so...any suggestions please!!

thanks

adam
Old 03-31-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: which compressor to buy?

Hi

Maybe this post was more approrpiate in another forum that the Video & Post, but since you are using the 428 for foley work too I guess you can have it here too .

Anyway

Have a look at the BSS DPR404 : it's a four channel compressor with bilt in deessing; I had the DPR402 (the 2 channel one) and it was very transparent and clean sounding, but also very efficient.

Other units to look at are the KLARK TEKNIK DNS504 or the Drawmer DL441 .

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:11 AM

thanks Lorenzo,

i chose this forum because it is video and post....its the field I work in, and will be using the kit in...therefore opinions of other post users is more relevant than music producers.

I was considering the Drawmer unit but was not too familiar with either of the other two. The BSS does sound interesting.

regards

adam
Old 03-31-2005, 09:58 AM

We're big fans of the dbx 160A for voiceover. Clean, quiet, relatively idiotproof, easy to tweak in a hurry with a room full of impatient people breathing down your neck. Check out the spots on our site (see signature). Everything you hear went through a 160A or its predecessor, the 160XT.