Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-1998, 12:59 AM
Avid

Default Re: MLCD 2.1 Released

So glad I put my name on the beginning of this thread. Product Release announcements don't always mean actual shipping dates, and I realize there has been a bit of delay. It looks like 2.1 may begin shipping next week. If you have specific questions regarding your own upgrade, please call Customer Service at 650-842-6699, your local Digi office if you are registered internationally, or email [email protected]
MLCD adds support for two CDRs:

Sony CDU 948S/X 4x write/8x read(no rewrite) Digidesign recommended for High-Quality CD-DA Production

Yamaha CDRW4260 4x write/2x rewrite/6x read Digidesign recommended for High-Quality CD-DA Production

I haven't heard of any problems with either of these burners. (or I wouldn't have just bought a Yamaha 4260)

Support for the Panasonics has been requested by a number of users, and are indeed a good bargain. We were not able to add support for them in this rev of MLCD, but those are on the Wish List for a future version.

2.1 will include a version of DAE which will allow it to recognize the ADAT Bridge and 882/20, which came out after MLCD 2.0 was developed. I still won't have all of the details for MLCD 2.1 until its actually out the door, but we'll let you know if we can answer any of your questions that may not have been previously covered.

Bruce Paine
Digidesign Product Information
Old 08-10-1998, 10:31 AM
Avid

The reason that you were unable to select an Adat Bridge as your interface was probably due to the version of the DigiSystem Init that you are using.

Version 3.3 which ships with Pro Tools 4.2 and is available on our web page should take care of this.

Thanks,

Jon Connolly
Old 08-10-1998, 10:24 PM
Avid

Right, DSI, not the DAE.
-BGP-
Old 08-12-1998, 08:42 AM

I called Customer Service yesterday to order MLCD 2.1 and they stated that it is not out yet. Maybe in a coulpe more weeks. Appearently a last minute bug was discovered. I hope you can give us an exact date of release so we can get it.
Old 08-14-1998, 06:28 PM
Avid

Actually began shipping today. Honest. I got a copy last night and installed it with my Yamaha 4260. As usual with any new release, there is a logjam getting everything out at first, so it may take a week or two to reach you, depending on who knows what. Well, somebody probably knows, but I'm not sure of all the different variables. Dealers get new stock, upgrades and updates go out, etc. One thing added along with the 2 new drives supported:
MasterList CD v2.1 now supports optional use of any PCI-based Digidesign hardware system for higher quality output monitoring and digital transfer to DAT when using this host-based software, including Pro Tools III-PCI and Pro Tools Project-PCI, in addition to the previous support using AMIII and PT|24.
-BGP-
Old 08-14-1998, 11:24 PM

I second (or fifth, or whatever) the request for Panasonic CD-R support. The reason many of the dupers are using this mechanism now is because the Yamaha 400t (not the 4260 RW) series has exhibited throughput problems when there are multiple units on a single SCSI bus. Since I don't think MLCD even supports this with these writers (although I could be wrong here), it's not an issue. And if you've only got one, it's definitely not an issue.

I would also like to request the ability to write a multisession disc. I know that truly Red Book compliant audio CDs are single session only. However, my clients are increasingly requesting Enhanced CDs, which are generally written with the audio as the first session (since that's all the CD players can see) and the data partition as the second session.

I have had to buy the main competitor's product just to do these discs because it has this functionality. And I have to say, that product is staying ahead of MLCD in a few other areas as well.

I have a couple other really key suggestions for MLCD, but I'm afraid they'll fall on deaf ears, so I'll just wait until somebody explicitly asks me (hint, hint).

;-)

Thanks and good luck with the latest release.
Old 08-19-1998, 02:12 PM

So what about 8 mm DDP Tape Writing in 2.1?
Is it workingor is it the same problem as
with 2.01?
Old 08-19-1998, 05:17 PM
Avid

Unfortunately, that remains the same as in 2.0. MasterList CD 2.1 does not support DDP tape mastering - The Export As 8mm DDP... command has been removed from the File menu.

-BGP-
Old 08-21-1998, 01:19 PM
Avid

Steve,

Please, feel free to post your suggestions for Masterlist CD or any Digidesign product here on the User Conference...It is your best bet to be heard by the most people here at Digidesign.

In response to your multi-session request, although this may or may not be impossible to get around today, this functionality was not allowed in Masterlist CD (MLCD) due to the fact that when each session ends and/or starts the data at that point is interpreted as an E32 error.

As the disk spins up or down ending or starting a new session, the laser of the writer remains on therefore writing data to the CD. Because the disk speed is not consistent the data written is not valid and is interpretted by a duplication facility and/or CD analyzer as a severe disk error or E32 error.

Although, it is possible for many duplication facilities to deal with such errors between tracks the fact remains that the disk contains errors. Digidesign opted to avoid this possible snafu by eliminating multisession capabilities.

Thanks,

Jon Connolly
Old 08-22-1998, 10:46 AM

Does this mean Digi is abandoning DDP mastering? I'm using it constantly with v1.4 and although I burn CD listening copies I wouldn't use CD-R for masters! There's no verification, and I've had too many problems with clients unable to play disks reliably.