Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2024, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Atmos bug: phase weirdness with "size" parameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryd View Post
Size is a thing to be careful with in Dolby Atmos, the same goes for the .2 of a 7.1.2 bed. A couple of years ago, when Apple introduced Dolby Atmos with a twist on iTunes, I did some experiments and posted the results on Youtube, with various stereo, binaural (NEAR-MID-FAR) etc renders of the same mix. It was a learning experience. Here's a link to one of the videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB15gZmC-KQ&t=328s
you'll find the others on the same YT channel and also 360 versions of Ambisonics renders out of the same Dolby Atmos sources on my Listen to 360 YT channel (also very revealing for the way the technology works).

Greetings,

Thierry
I stumbled on those awesome vids a few months ago when I first started getting into this.

For me, size was a way to equalize Apple and Dolby. I don't like Apple's weird room sound and "size" reduces it. Plus I found that Apple and Dolby react a bit differently to volume, and since size also affects volume but in a different way, it was another way to finesse balance.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:09 AM

It seems as though the sonic characteristics to the size parameter are new to the latest pro tools, and Dolby Atmos renderer. This was seemingly by design. More info on it here:

https://dolby.my.salesforce.com/sfc/...cV7uwF2wcDdgQE
Old 01-08-2024, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
It seems as though the sonic characteristics to the size parameter are new to the latest pro tools, and Dolby Atmos renderer. This was seemingly by design. More info on it here:

https://dolby.my.salesforce.com/sfc/...cV7uwF2wcDdgQE
And they're saying the streaming platforms won't be affected, which begs the question: WTF? Until yesterday "size" universally meant less directionality and more volume. Now it's a glorified comb filter but only for producers, not consumers. So the change just makes mixing an extra PITA. I hope Apple refuses this "improvement" for Logic. We need at least one reliable headphones reference. Avid should revert (but keep it internal cuz that's awesome).
Old 01-09-2024, 08:24 AM

I also have a lot of questions that I’m still formulating around this change in approach. I think the idea makes sense, but the execution of it creates new problems to consider as a mixer.

Nonetheless, I have any will continue to avoid using “size” . Sadly though, because I think the idea of this parameter is interesting but it’s never been realized properly across every listening format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2024, 10:03 AM

Dolby confirmed it's a bug and is working on it.

I've abandoned "size" for now. At least with objects. Bed tracks are unaffected.