Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2014, 03:44 AM

Default Re: JL Cooper cs 10 serial**PLEASE HELP**

So I have found out how these things work and can answer all the questions now by myself.

Here the results for future reference:

SD II can work with JL Cooper CS-1/CS-10 via two ways: ADB or Midi.

ADB:
You need the extension "CS-1" (an ADB INIT) in your extension folder and the ADB version of CS-1. CS-Edit for a CS-10 has got ADB, but I couldn't get this to work. Maybe for the good reason, the CS-1 extension is indeed only for a CS-1 and not für CS-10, as this one works via Midi. And on the other hand SD II only reads "CS-10" in the Preferences, not "CS-1"!

Midi:
No extension, no ADB, just Midi. That means for a CS-10 with a CS-Edit Box (which is connected to your Midi interface), you have to bypass the CS-Edit ADB by pressing Shift and left Jog-Wheel button simultaneously (this is also the way to go for ProTools, the CS-Edit manual reads). Now the CS-10 acts only via Midi (buttons and wheel as well) in the "original" state and then works great with SD II (remember to choose the right Midi port for CS-10 in the Preferences menu!).

The CS-10 display reads "J0" (Jog mode) when you start the SD II App with a bypassed CS-Edit. Pressing Shift +F2, F3 or F4 switches between Scrub, Jog and Shuttle mode, the display reads "Sc", "JO" and "Sh", respectively. Pretty cool, it is fun to use SD II with a CS-10! And MUCH faster than just a mouse.

You can have the same with only a CS-10 without any CS-Edit, you just need the serial to Midi cable which comes with the CS-10 (serial plugs into the COM port of the CS-10). Or you make such a cable, should be easy as Midi is serial of course. The CS-10 display however does not show anything going this route.
I am pretty sure you can also just plug the CS-10 directly into the printer or modem port for midi communication, but I haven't tried that as I need all serial ports for several gear, at least an Opcode Midi interface. And as it works very well going the "official" way there is no need to connect it directly to the Mac.

BTW:
If anybody needs the CS-Edit Software (v 1.02), just PM me. If anybody has got a newer version, PM me, too!

Last edited by wirefall; 02-24-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:22 AM

Default Re: JL Cooper cs 10 serial**PLEASE HELP**

hi
found this thread while looking for other isssues.....

A friend have a cs10 midi ports version

that start to have an issue about faders ,

when a fader is touched/moved ,
the 8 pro tools software faders
activated by automation start to go a bit "crazy",

they start to move a little bit up and down themselvess trembling ,

but no error messages are showed by pro tools software or oms (in os9)

JL Cooper do not more give support

can be a power supply circuit section or old capacitors to replace ,
or other more ?
the cs10 have no problems in setting up ,
It is recognized and configured properly without issues
but it make only what described above,

any help about is so welcome !

thanks in advance
z

ps:
for who have the serial port version (i owned one years ago)
need to connect the cs10 to a mac printer or modem port,
run oms , configure adding cs10 in the setup ,
in pro tools software choose cs10,
*if no serial port available
there is adaptors usb to serial port for cheap price
that work with old serial midi interfaces studio 4 mtp etc..
remote controls like cs10, and other devices....