Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Recording and Ooops question PT HD OVERLAPPING REGIONS

Thankfully, I've never done that mistake, but thought I'd test a few things to see how PT behaves. I actually thought that I could select the top/visible region and use the command Send to back to reveal all underlying regions, but that doesn't work. Doesn't work to trim the visible region either. Small things about PT I didn't know.

A while back I used to have the preference Latch record enable buttons un-checked just for this reason. That way you can record-enable a track, and after that you have to Shift-click the record button to arm multiple tracks.

However, it works just fine to import session data as mentioned before.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Red face Re: Recording and Ooops question PT HD OVERLAPPING REGIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
What a concept!! You ever drive a ferrari?

What happens to the Cubase layers after u strip them away? Ff
Cubase layers do go away when you are stripping them. But if you do it in a lane style format, you can simply chose the order of the lanes and put the one you want heard on top.

Either way, you have more options within the track this way.

And come on man, being a smarty pants does not solve the problem (the Ferrari thing) There simply is no excuse for Avid to keep up with features that other DAWs boast, unless Digi/Avid can do something like that better. The reason I switched was for the AUDIO quality that comes from Protools. I AM A BELIEVER! But I can still be angry that my new "religion" (which is supposed to be the religion that answers all questions) does snot include certain rituals (functions) that I need/am used to using.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Thankfully, I've never done that mistake, but thought I'd test a few things to see how PT behaves. I actually thought that I could select the top/visible region and use the command Send to back to reveal all underlying regions, but that doesn't work. Doesn't work to trim the visible region either. Small things about PT I didn't know.

A while back I used to have the preference Latch record enable buttons un-checked just for this reason. That way you can record-enable a track, and after that you have to Shift-click the record button to arm multiple tracks.

However, it works just fine to import session data as mentioned before.
Thanks for your response and your personal research into this.

I always arm the tracks individually anyway. But it is still very curious that the software remembers every piece of audio you record, but does not remember the way it was laid on the time line.

Very strange right?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I always arm the tracks individually anyway.
Me too, but if you have the pref mentioned earlier un-checked it would be like a safety net of sorts. When you record-enable a new track, the previous one(s) will pop out automatically.

Quote:
Very strange right?
I've been working with PT for so long that I don't know any other way, but I am a little disappointed if it turns out that importing session data from a backup is the easiest way to get a comped playlist back after an honest mistake. Sending the top region to the back or trimming it would be so much faster. Or, even better - delete it, and the underlying regions pop right back.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Me too, but if you have the pref mentioned earlier un-checked it would be like a safety net of sorts. When you record-enable a new track, the previous one(s) will pop out automatically.

I've been working with PT for so long that I don't know any other way, but I am a little disappointed if it turns out that importing session data from a backup is the easiest way to get a comped playlist back after an honest mistake. Sending the top region to the back or trimming it would be so much faster. Or, even better - delete it, and the underlying regions pop right back.
Yessir...that is exactly how Cubase works.
Thanks for your research again!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchiest View Post
but does not remember the way it was laid on the time line.
Actually it does remember where all the regions were originally recorded..."spot"..
But I agree that the "peeling off feature" would be nice. And admit that it could have come in handy a couple of times over the years. For me, a couple of blunders does not a new feature make, especially when there are some really "important" (read, use every day, multiple times) ones on the docket.
Once you get used to PT, you will probably dup your comps, and then consolidate.. leaving your original work on a playlist, impervious to record blunders. Also getting used to making sure that your backup routine suits your workflow is paramount.
One of the cool things about PT is there are a lot of different workflows, depending on your needs. ff
Old 10-03-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Or, even better - delete it, and the underlying regions pop right back.
That would be sweet.... ff
Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
Actually it does remember where all the regions were originally recorded..."spot"..
But I agree that the "peeling off feature" would be nice. And admit that it could have come in handy a couple of times over the years. For me, a couple of blunders does not a new feature make, especially when there are some really "important" (read, use every day, multiple times) ones on the docket.
Once you get used to PT, you will probably dup your comps, and then consolidate.. leaving your original work on a playlist, impervious to record blunders. Also getting used to making sure that your backup routine suits your workflow is paramount.
One of the cool things about PT is there are a lot of different workflows, depending on your needs. ff
The "spot" thing is handy, but if you are doing takes to a click and then popping them where they belong in the timeline..."spot" does not help.

The only thing that will work, and something that would be a lifesaver and time saver for many is the lane feature I was talking about. It has to be a thing, some sort of hidden feature that PT does that is so secret..we would have to go through some sort of ritual for it to be revealed to us. I have noticed that many features are here in PT, just named something different and they are only revealed to you when you scour forums. Kind of the "Right to Pursue Happiness" as opposed to "Right to Happiness."

Thanks again for your research...
Old 10-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchiest View Post
be a lifesaver and time saver for many is the lane feature I was talking about.
You do know "about expanding alternates into new playlists"? That has some of the function you seek, I think? ff