Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 09-08-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Assigning a Name to The server instead of an IP

If I want a name for my server instead of the IP address, what should I do? What form should the name take? We have a registered Domain name (www.Trackdown.com.au) I would like to use some variant of this. I can't see any information past knowing that it can be done.
regards
Simon L.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Assigning a Name to The server instead of an IP

Simon,

To give the DigiDelivery server a name, you will need to register that name. It is best to do this with the same company that handled the registration for your existing domain name. Before registering a name, you need to pick a name and have the DigiDelivery server on a static IP (sorry if this is obvious). May I suggest digidelivery.Trackdown.com.au? Once you have a name, and the static IP, you then register the name and the IP you want it to point to. The service you register the name with will then update their DNS servers (Domain Name Service). DNS servers are what allow you to type in duc.digidesign.com and get to the DUC. It takes about 72 hours for a DNS change to propagate across the Internet. From personal experience, the best way to have that change made seamlessly is over a 3 day weekend. The DNS service we use, networksolutions.com, starts updating records at midnight, so I would get the change in on Friday, and at 12:00:01 AM Saturday, the change starts propagating across the Internet. When I go back to work on Tuesday, if the change isn't done, I place the blame on the DNS server that the client is using.

I hope you find this useful.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Assigning a Name to The server instead of an IP

Dear Chief Technician,
this is exactly the information I need thanks. It was just a case of knowing what form the name should take. I was unsure whether it should be www, or Http:// etc but you have answered my question exactly.
Best Regards
Simon L.