Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Where is ProTools heading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
No legal issues.
Just as Avid won't support your 3rd party hardware, neither will Apple.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
No legal issues. It was decided by the supreme court a while back. Apple can not like it, but you can't get in any trouble for it.
Thanks; didn't know the Supremes had made a decision.

QAPLA!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thanks; didn't know the Supremes had made a decision.
Yeah, Apple was trying to make Jailbreaking and installing OSX on 3rd party systems illegal. Supreme court threw it out as nonsense. Provided you aren't buying iPhones and jailbreaking them for a profit, and aren't selling pre-built systems with OSX on them, there's nothing illegal about doing either.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Avoid the Retina like the plague. It is not a "Pro" machine by any rate.

Hi Dism,

you might wanna check this video and see where the lap tops are going.
In regards as a professional tool. You can even add HDx to it quite cheap and easily.

2000 for the Lap Top and 995 for the xPansion Chassis..
+ 100 Meters of Optical Thunderbolt cable.

And this video is only the old generation of MacBook Pros..

I doubt that desktops will sell in a few at all.

At least I am sold off and so are all 4 of my Mac Pros - all replaced by ONE retina....

You do the math which is cheaper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw_jBQB6FD0
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Hi Dism,

you might wanna check this video and see where the lap tops are going.
In regards as a professional tool. You can even add HDx to it quite cheap and easily.

2000 for the Lap Top and 995 for the xPansion Chassis..
+ 100 Meters of Optical Thunderbolt cable.

And this video is only the old generation of MacBook Pros..

I doubt that desktops will sell in a few at all.

At least I am sold off and so are all 4 of my Mac Pros - all replaced by ONE retina....

You do the math which is cheaper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw_jBQB6FD0
You're talking about a totally different machine in the video than DISM is talking about. The new Retina display MBP's are an abomination for all the reasons stated here: can't upgrade ANYTHING inside the computer. You're stuck with what Apple gave you at an exhorbitant price. And you need adapter cables for the Retina version for everything (except TB). Phooey - this all points to a non-pro machine.

IN short the Retina display Macs are nothing but a souped-up iOS device, nothing more. And we all know iOS is the OS for Apple's devices for the masses.

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM

How's about THIS one??

Ok, so I'm poor and can't afford a new system right now.

I am upgrading my system to an '8-core' from a 'quad' and with 13 GB of RAM, 98% of my ProTools sessions won't be an issue.

HOWEVER, my ability to take part in the (hopefully) 64-bit architecture of ProTools 11 will not be an option for me as I cannot run Mountain Lion. 1st gen MacPro's use 32-bit EFI and Mountain Lion requires 64-bit.

There are so many people that have created 'Hackintosh' patches to get the system to boot in 64-bit, but has anyone done any of these lately, or can you verify if these work-arounds (2 links below) function properly with Mountain Lion?

My stuff is about to become obsolete anyways…may as well try a Hail Mary pass to gain a few more years out of my gear.

Here are two links for possible fixes: Both scare me beyond words and I hope sincerely for advice.

http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47

http://www.j4mie.co.uk/blog/how-to-install-mountain-lion-on-macpro11/

I’m aware, ‘quit complaining and buy newer gear’ is the moral of this story, but you can’t hurt a guy for tryin. Thanks in advance for any tips, links, tricks, success stories or catastrophic failures.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
all replaced by ONE retina...
Hope it doesn't break ...

I've mixed on a MacBook Pro for the last several years. It sure did get hot!

While I'm sure the latest and greatest MacBook Pros are going to do a better job, there's just no comparison to using a full-sized Mac Keyboard and dual 24" monitors.

I feel better when people come in to record and I'm no longer using my laptop (I guess that's a vanity thing). Who knows, I might even get a console? I mean I already have a board, but blinky lights and moving faders would be cool!

Bottom line? Windows vs. OS X ... PC vs. Mac ... Linux vs. FreeBSD ... Laptop vs. Desktop = "The right tool for the job!" ...

Working with audio, no one is going to hear my Hackintosh or display type ... In fact, I copied sessions from my MacBook Pro to my Hackintosh and they sounded exactly the same.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
Hope it doesn't break ...

I've mixed on a MacBook Pro for the last several years. It sure did get hot!

While I'm sure the latest and greatest MacBook Pros are going to do a better job, there's just no comparison to using a full-sized Mac Keyboard and dual 24" monitors.
Since 98 I have been buying every new MacBook Pro (back then diff. name) and this is the first time I have ever used the term super computer bout any of em.

At first I was like, shoot cant upgrade RAM change SSD etc etc. However, mine has 16GB of RAM and a 768 SSD. Two USB 3 ports and 2 thunderbolts.
Oh and you CAN upgrade the harddrive.. Just gotta take it in to the store

I am running Protools in a full session using three displays from ONE laptop... The Retina, 1x 30 Inch and 1x 22 Inch. The thing has been running the past 8 hours (today) and the fans are barely moving. MUCH quieter than ANY digidesign hardware interface or hard drive for that matter. And should it get too hot.. NO worries, I'll just place it in the machine room. And use the two other displays inside the control room via Thunderbolt...

Beauty about it is that today I need ONLY one computer... ONE.... No more dumb dropbox syncing, duplicate emails etc etc etc... When I go home, I unplug 3 cables and I have my whole setup in the hand. When I go to the studio I bring the MacBook...

Anyone claiming the Retina aint no Pro device simply put hasn't been using it past the time spent when testing it in the retail store.

My life has just got MUUUUCH easier and I am loving it.

Sure it will take time before the people will fully comprehend how powerful this it...

And claiming the Retina is an iOS 6 device is about the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.. Made me laugh though
Old 09-20-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

IN short the Retina display Macs are nothing but a souped-up iOS device, nothing more. And we all know iOS is the OS for Apple's devices for the masses.
Very obvious that you have NOT been working with it....

Stop saying stuff like above, it has neither merit nor truth to it.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I am running Protools in a full session using three displays from ONE laptop... The Retina, 1x 30 Inch and 1x 22 Inch. The thing has been running the past 8 hours (today) and the fans are barely moving.

[snip]

Beauty about it is that today I need ONLY one computer... ONE.... No more dumb dropbox syncing, duplicate emails etc etc etc... When I go home, I unplug 3 cables and I have my whole setup in the hand. When I go to the studio I bring the MacBook...
Again, hope it doesn't break.

When I started using my 17" MacBook Pro for more and more stuff, it became sort of a desktop with all the things I had hooked to it. So I bought a 15" offa eBay so I'd have a portable (as the 15 was way more portable in sheer size than the 17 anyway). I started using the 15" to do recording and all sorts of things and still used it as my portable as you're currently doing. All of my sessions are on external drives for the most part.

One day, the 15" wouldn't turn on. The white light did whatever it did and I looked it up ... blah ... blah ... DEAD! But, I still had the 17" to take over. Heck, I'm still booting via USB to the 15" drive in an external casing.

Both ran hot. The only thing that got the fans going was full screen youtube videos. Every so often, I would come to realize if the 17" died, I'd be done.

The opportunity came up to build my Hackintosh. Cost me around $1350 US. What Apple hardware could be acquired that could even compare to what I built out of online parts?

I just realized, I'm in the wrong debate. This is about the Retina MacBook Pro laptop and its "PRO" status. I'm debating 1 laptop vs. 4 desktops ... and revert back to "right tool for the job" ... I do like taking my sessions on the go on my laptop, so I'm hip ... Just have a backup plan cause Apple Laptops just stop one day. The more you abuse them, the sooner this will happen.

My MBP 17" C2D CPU temp sits at 67C while my Hackintosh is at 41C (and it's overclocked to 4.6G) and it's silent. The MBP is a tiny enclosure. As it ages, it gets more dust in there too blocking vents. Have a backup.

And yes, I'd love to purchase one. I'm just not as independently wealthy as I used to be. $3500-4000 for a laptop is pretty expensive where I come from.