Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-28-2004, 02:43 PM

Default HUI support in 6.4 - Digi please respond

The HUI was unsupported for the Pro Tools 6.4 release only because we had our hands full with the initial releases of D-Control and Command|8, so we did not have the bandwidth to test the HUI or Motormix. We expect qualification of HUI and Motormix to return in the next major release of Pro Tools.

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
======================================
Danny - please confirm that this just means it was not tested, not that support has been withdrawn (i.e. it doesn't work). Please confirm the timetable for reinstituting support - Thanks
Old 04-28-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: HUI support in 6.4 - Digi please respond

I second that request Ian ...

I believe we are migrating to Panther soon (as a company), and I should imagine that we will go straight to 6.4 release. Using that scenario, we have a few rooms here (probably more at other facilities) outfitted with HUIs, and it is a little disconcerting that they might not work until the "next major release." Major releases don't happen very often. A "CS" or "R" release would be a more pleasant pill to swallow.

Danny, you are always a straight-up guy on the DUC. It would just be nice to know that the support doesn't go completely away with 6.4. And while you're at it ... Any joystick panner options you would recommend (knowing that I cannot go to ProControl)?

Cheers,
.:
naughty dog
Old 04-28-2004, 03:47 PM

Is it : A Not qualified ?
or B Not working ?
Old 04-28-2004, 04:59 PM

Or c: we didn't test it...

I don't think this requires a major release - it's more of a compatibility document update, surely.

A LOT of controllers use the HUI protocol.

Any way - they put ALL controllers (aside from digi ones) in that folder....

I heard someone mention anti-trust earlier... similar appearance.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:02 PM

You might know this but...if the Control Surface Personality is not available from your installation of Pro Tools 6.4 (It might be in an unsupported folder on your install disk-otherwise not included on a Pro Tools 6.4 LE download) then go to "downloads" then "3rd party controllers" and it's listed as "legacy control surfaces" and you can download the "personality" and your good to go. I don't know if "official" support is going to happen or not, but this small download -that I put in my control surfaces file in the Digidesign folder- got me up and running in 6.4 with my HUI.
Have fun!
LB.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:35 PM

Quote:
The HUI was unsupported for the Pro Tools 6.4 release only because we had our hands full with the initial releases of D-Control and Command|8, so we did not have the bandwidth to test the HUI or Motormix. We expect qualification of HUI and Motormix to return in the next major release of Pro Tools.

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
======================================
Danny - please confirm that this just means it was not tested, not that support has been withdrawn (i.e. it doesn't work). Please confirm the timetable for reinstituting support - Thanks

It works. We don't know of any bugs, but it did not get enough testing in order for us to be sure. Therefore, "unsupported."

We expect qualification to be restored in the next major release of Pro Tools. I can't give you a timetable for the next release though (if I did, I'd have to kill you... <g>).

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign
Old 04-28-2004, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I second that request Ian ...

I believe we are migrating to Panther soon (as a company), and I should imagine that we will go straight to 6.4 release. Using that scenario, we have a few rooms here (probably more at other facilities) outfitted with HUIs, and it is a little disconcerting that they might not work until the "next major release." Major releases don't happen very often. A "CS" or "R" release would be a more pleasant pill to swallow.

Danny, you are always a straight-up guy on the DUC. It would just be nice to know that the support doesn't go completely away with 6.4. And while you're at it ... Any joystick panner options you would recommend (knowing that I cannot go to ProControl)?

Cheers,
Well, (he said, in his straight-up guy-like manner<g>), I've dredged up the (unsupported) JL Cooper MCS Panner personality file for Pro Tools 6.4 OS X, and hope to have it posted along with the other unsupported personality files soon. Although not qualified by Digidesign, there are no known bugs.

I know less about the XP version though.

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign
Old 04-29-2004, 08:03 AM

Thanks Danny.

I appreciate your direct answers.

And now ... about that next major release ... (Old, creepy movie quote alert)

"Is it safe .... Is it safe?"
.:
naughty dog
Old 05-06-2004, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks Danny.

I appreciate your direct answers.

And now ... about that next major release ... (Old, creepy movie quote alert)

"Is it safe .... Is it safe?"
To quote the same movie - "Is WHAT safe?" <G>

Anyway, you can find the MCS panner personality at

http://www.digidesign.com/download/controllers/

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign